Chapter Twenty - Poprocks And Coke

-André's P.O.V-

Call me crazy, but I just invited Mike over. I guess you could say it was a "moment of weakness" but it wasn't. The thought of being alone without the company of my mother scared me half to death. There were no more late night phone calls or breakfast at the diner down the street. No more long walks by the creek or going to the record store anymore. I was openly fragile for once, and I knew Mike would be more than happy to come over and goddamn, I am so glad I was.

"Make yourself at home. Mi casa es su casa." I told him using my very shitty Spanish accent. He walked in right after me and closed the door. Mike looked around my little place as he slipped off his shoes.

"If you didn't tell me you lived here, well, I could have figured it out myself." He motioned to the one wall in my living room that was covered in graffiti. "Your landlord let you do that?"

"Pft. Not in a million years." I responded as I too kicked my chuck taylors off and looked my pride and joy. It wasn't anything specific. Just a mish mash of things I liked including the Marvel comics logo, some punk kids and Jack-o-lanterns. A giant red "A" was painted in the far corner of it. It seriously screamed André Rachel for miles.

Mike smiled at that. "You're creative." He said as he shoved his hands into his pockets and looked around. I could see his eyes scanning the room and they landed on the one spot I knew they would. My record/cassette/CD collection. It proudly hung on the wall besides the couches.

"Whoa." He said with amazement as he walked over and started looking at all the titles. "These all yours?"

I smiled and nodded as I went over to join him. "Yeah, pretty much."

"You have everything here!" Mike was so impressed. His fingers traced the titles of all of them. A smile was on his face the whole time. I loved that he got so happy because of a few things I've gathered over the years.

"Oh man..." He pulled a copy of the Ramones' Brain Drain album and looked at it. His eyes became wide as he looked at it more closely.

"No way! Joey fucking Ramone sighed this!" Mike exclaimed as he ran a tedious finger of the ancient scribble of one of my mother's idol. "When did you see him?" He asked.

"My mother did." I told him honestly. "She use to say that if she wasn't dating my father, she would have married Joey."

"That's so cool." He said in awe as he looked at me. I smiled sweetly and began walking towards the kitchen.

"Want something to eat?" I asked while making my way to the counter. I opened up the cupboard to pull of a box of froot loops. His head peeked in and he glowed like a Christmas tree.

"I like the way you think, girl."

I laughed, "Does that mean I have to get out two bowls?"

"Duh. A man's gotta eat."

I rolled my eyes playfully and got out two bowls, two spoons and poured cereal in each. How strange was it? Usually men expected a full 9 course meal but Mike here was satisfied with a bowl of Froot Loops. He hadn't changed a bit. I smiled as I poured milk in the bowls.

"I'm glad you're not one of those people who pour the milk first and then the cereal." He said while watching me with the curiosity of that of a child.

I looked at him and grimaced as if that was a crime punishable by death. "Ugh of course not. I have self respect." I joked, causing him to laugh. I put the milk down and I could feel his smile radiate through the kitchen.

"You're still as funny as ever."

I picked up our bowls and and walked over to the table where he pulled up a chair and sat down.