Separation

After spending the night at the warehouse, we decided to raid a grocery store for more supplies. Lucas and Farkle were in the lead as we crept our way to the market. Maya had one arm wrapped around my waist and the other holding her bat, not wanting me to get hurt again. It's cute how she's so protective.

I never got a good look at New York City now. It was even trashier than it was before if that was even possible. The streets were littered with junk, the once semi-blue sky was now an ashen gray. There was blood splattered on every inch of the city. We made our way to the store, whose doors were wide open.

"Come on." Farkle gestures for us to head in. The place was dark, our only source of light being our flashlights. I clung closer to Maya as I wasn't a big fan of the dark. Farkle and Lucas start grabbing everything they thought was useful. I see them shove some rope, a bunch of food, and another first aid kit into our backpack.

That's when I hear a noise. It was soft, barely noticeable. "Did you guys here that?" I whisper, thinking that we weren't alone. They all shook their head. "I don't think we're the only ones here." I say nervously, shining my flashlight around the place, trying to find the source of the noise I heard.

We hear a loud crash, confirming my thoughts. The four of us screamed. We all whipped out our weapons and turned to the intruder. I shined my flashlight into his face. "Ah!" I hear a familiar voice scream.

"DAD!?" I shout. He had a panicked expression on his face, seeing our weapons. Once he realizes it was me, he sighs in relief.

"Riley! You're okay!" He gathers me in a hug. "I was so worried!"

I pull away, confusion entering my brain. "Wait, how are you here? Are mom and Auggie okay!?"

"They're fine. The two of them are still back in Philadelphia with grandma." He answers. "The zombies are only in New York City." He informs us.

Farkle gives a sigh of relief. "Thank goodness I didn't doom the whole world!" He says. "Oh, hey Farkle." My dad says, not noticing he was here. Then he sees who else was with me.

"Maya and Lucas!? Why are they with you!?" He asks, shock on his face.

I dodge his question. "The more important question is why are you here?" I ask.

"I had to come for you Riley, I just had to!" My dad answers. "I couldn't just leave you alone with zombies!"

"So you decided to leave mom and Auggie instead?" I raise an eyebrow, not understanding his actions. I was doing just fine in this apocalypse. I had Lucas, Farkle, and Maya. Especially Maya.

"Okay, so maybe it wasn't the best plan." My dad admits. "But they'll be fine, Philadelphia is perfectly safe unlike here! We can't get out of the city, they built a giant wall to trap everyone in." My dad states. "We're basically under quarantine until further notice."

"Wait, if there's a wall blocking the city then how did you get in?" Maya asks. My dad looks at her then his eyes trail down to her arm that was wrapped around me. His eyes widen.

"Oh no. Dad, be cool about this." I groan.

"You guys are together!?" He shouts. "Keep your voice down!" Lucas hushes him. "You're going to attract zombies!"

"How am I supposed to when my daughter is dating the heartbreaker of Abigail Adams!? She's just gonna break your heart and move on Riley!" My dad accuses, pointing at Maya with a glare. Maya's face was full of sadness and she looks down at her shoe.

"Woah, woah. Take it easy there Mr. Matthews." Farkle goes in to defend Maya.

"Take it easy!? Do you hear yourself Farkle!?" My dad then notices that Farkle was standing too close to Lucas. "Oh you have gotta be kidding me! You're dating Lucas!?" He groans.