We All Want to Party When the Funeral Ends

Fun Ghoul probably wouldn't make it. His bones were probably shattered, his internal organs were dust. I couldn't stop crying. None of us could.

Fun Ghoul, or as I now know him, Frank, was someone who I had grown close with. He was like an older brother figure for me, in many ways.

Jet Star had tried his best to help, but at this point, there was no hope.

"Kill Switch?" Kobra looked out of the back door, where I was sitting.

"He's not doing too well. He'll probably go soon. " This made me cry even harder.

Kobra Kid sat next to me, his arms open for a hug. I accepted, and started sobbing into his shoulder.

I could've sworn I felt him start crying too.

After we were both done crying, we went back inside where Jet Star was waiting.

"Hey, Switch. Ghoul wants to talk to you. " He pointed to the room where he was currently laying.

"Ghoul?" I opened the door to find him laying on an old musty mattress that the boys probably scrounged up for him.

"Kill Switch, c'mon in. " I stayed silent as I sat on the floor next to him.

"I'm really happy I got to know you, 'ya know. And I'm sure the others feel the same. I'm sure not gonna miss your explosions, though. " He chuckled.

"Thank you. I'm gonna miss you so much, Ghoul. I don't know what we'll do without you. " I started crying again.

"Well, I guess you'll just have to make enough jokes for the both of us, then. "

I was about to say something, when he grabbed my hand.

"Switch, make me a promise. Keep those buttfaces alive for me. All of you need to keep kickin'. I want to be the only one of us legends that turns into dust. Shiny?"

"I will. I promise. " He grabbed my hand, and nodded at me sadly.

"Alright, bring on the other chucklefucks." I nodded, and went to the door to tell everyone.

We all sat around Ghoul as he died. I don't think I will ever forget the image of him, one of my best friends and brothers, dead.

We buried him. Frank was gone.

We all stood in silence around the stone that was placed there as a sort of headstone.

I didn't stop crying once.

When we walked back into the diner, we all hugged each other.

"Fun Ghoul was not just a killjoy, he was family. " He wiped away a tear.

"But he will live on through us. "

• • • •
It's been a few days since Fun Ghoul bit the dust. It's been strangely quiet in the diner ever since, everyone mourning in their own ways.

I was sitting up on the roof of the diner, watching the sunrise.

"Hey. " It was Party Poison, sitting down next to me.

"Hi."

We both sat in silence for an extended period of time, not knowing what to say.

"So, his name was Frank then. " I never knew any of their real names, but I never actually thought about it until now.

"Yeah. We'd known each other since before the fires and this shithole of a world. We all have. " He mentioned.

"That's quite an accomplishment in this world. I don't think anyone I knew before is still alive. I didn't live in California. "

"Where did you live? " He asked.

"Pennsylvania. "

"Wow, that's pretty far away. How did you get to California?"

"I was visiting an old friend that had moved here right before the Fires. "

"Oh. " We sat in a slightly awkward silence before he asked, "What was your family like?"

"I had an older brother, a mom and a dad. Pretty ordinary family, but I loved them. I also had two dogs, and holy shit I miss them. " He chuckled.

"So I guess you're a dog person then. " He smiled at me.

"All the way. I'm pretty damn allergic to cats." I laughed slightly.

We now sat in comfortable silence until the sun had risen.

"Well, we should probably get down. It's not safe for us up here with the su out. "  Party Poison and I got up and made our way to the main floor of the diner.

For once since Ghoul died, I felt good. Not necessarily happy, but good.

And good was all I needed.

Hey guys! Thanks for reading!