22 | A Speck of Magic

Slipping into a pair of black leggings and a beige blouse, I did my hair in a high bun, before going downstairs and entering the kitchen, wrapping the apron extra tightly around my waist as an indication of the effort I'm about to make. Pulling out the ingredients for an apple pie, my mind whirled with thoughts about how Ethan will like it when he comes over in an hour. A smile pulling at my lips at the thought of him.

All the times we touched, kissed, held hands, his fingers in my hair, his breath against my lips, his thumb caressing my cheek, my hands against his chest, or around his neck, running through his soft hair. It always felt like the first time, the wild beating in my chest, the burning of my cheeks, the overwhelming sensation in my stomach, it always amazed me how Ethan can do me wonders all the time without even knowing.

To me, he was a speck of magic in this plain world. And as selfish as it seems, I was planning to keep that speck to myself.

And speaking of that, Ethan had told me that Penelope had been strangely backing off the last few days, going out almost every night to who knows where. And that just made me want to give her a second chance, however... hostile her behavior has been, I was sure she wasn't all bad on the inside. I mean, we could be friends, or maybe not, but at least we won't be "rivals"—as Kaylee calls it— anymore. Besides, I don't think Ethan would pick a bad soul for a girlfriend after all, right?

The shrieking sound of the bell vibrated throughout the house as I was placing the already baked apple pie on the table, and I frowned as it hasn't been an hour yet. Maybe he decided to come earlier than planned.

Taking off the oven gloves, I untied my apron before making my way to the front door, brushing away the thought of my unchanged clothes since I wouldn't keep him waiting outside so I can go and change.

Grabbing hold of the door handle, I pulled open the door, and to my utmost surprise, I found forest green eyes looking back at me.

"Hey, Cupcake." He smiled.

"Um, hey... Wh-what are you doing here? And how do you know where I live?" I asked, a crease forming between my eyebrows from confusion.

"Are you not going to invite me in?" Corey raised an eyebrow at me, dodging the questions, which made me internally frown even deeper, but nevertheless, I invited him in, closing the door slowly behind him, still processing his presence in my house.

Folding my arms under my chest, I waited for him to say something, unsure of what I should exactly do or say anymore.

"Something smells delicious, have you been baking?" He asked, walking ahead while sniffing the air like he was looking for the source of the smell.

"Y-yeah, I made an apple pie... Do you want some?" I asked awkwardly, taking the lead and going to the kitchen.

"Sounds lovely." He grinned, following in tow.

"So, what brings you here?" I asked once he was settled at the table with a slice of apple pie in front of him.

"Can't I just visit my lovely best friend for once?" He said, before taking a spoonful of pie into his eager mouth.

Best friend?

I don't even bother to internally roll my eyes, but instead, I do it wide in the open, and he scowls at me. "Corey, I may always seem nice, but believe me, I can be ...not nice sometimes, so how about you stop avoiding my questions and start answering them instead?" I said firmly, trying as hard as I can to look serious, but still with a smile on my face.

His shoulders dropped in defeat, and a sigh escaped his lips as he looked me in the eyes, "I'm here to ask for your help."

Pulling on a dark blue skirt, I put on a geometric halter top and did my hair in a loose ponytail

Standing in front of the mirror, I did a quick touch up to my eyelashes and put on some lip balm, before going downstairs to prepare the pie for Ethan's arrival in a few minutes.

I had said goodbye to Corey twenty minutes ago, a smile on my face as beautiful thoughts swarmed through my head as I went straight up into my room to change.

He had told me not to tell Ethan that he came over, and even though I hated hiding anything from him, especially him, I still agreed on it, hoping Ethan wouldn't sense that something's up and start asking questions about it.

Opening the door after the bell rang, I was greeted with the presence of the wonderful grey-eyed brown-haired boy that's been invading my mind all day.

Giving me a charming smile, he came in, and I closed the door behind him with a crazy smile of my own on my face.

One hand snaked around my waist, the other guiding my chin up as he took my breath with a kiss to the lips, making my face go burning as he leaned his forehead against mine.

"Hey." He mouthed, his smile contagious and his eyes breathtaking.

"Hi," I mouthed back, still smiling as I brushed my lips against his once again, not having enough of him.

And just like that, I felt magical. Just like him.