18 | Restroom Party

Utensils clattered against plates as everyone dug into their dinner, small chatter erupting here and there between the adults every few minutes.

But even though the adults failed to notice, I could still feel the tension hovering in the air.

Shelly had descended down the stairs once dinner was announced ready, and it's only then when I realized she was missing the whole time. But thinking about it, I wish I was missing, too, since the tension was that hard to miss.

I looked up at Kaylee, and she sure as well didn't look that comfortable either, while Ryan seemed so engrossed in his food that he almost forgot anyone was there. I glanced at where Ethan was stationed opposite from me and immediately caught his eyes.

He had Penelope sitting beside him, with Dad on the other side, and I couldn't help but relish in the fact that his chair was noticeably rearranged to be a few inches closer to Dad.

His grey eyes studied me, and the corners of my lips lifted up teasingly as they had a mind of their own. A frown immediately marred his features, and he gave me a look that promised vengeance.

I almost chuckled, before my legs moved and all I knew that my foot was reaching over to his.

Touch.

He gave me a warning look, before grabbing his glass of water and taking a sip. Biting my lip, I tried to contain my laughter as my leg went out towards his again.

Brush.

Ethan chocked on his water, making all the attention settle on him as they quickly made him drink more water as Dad patted his back.

But all I could focus on was Penelope's hand that was draped over his shoulder.

My stomach twisted, and I pursed my lips, looking down at my food. And all my appetite was lost. I didn't know what was wrong with me, so getting up from my seat, I thanked Mrs. Bishop for the delicious meal before I excused myself.

Making my way to the restroom, the last thing I saw was Ethan's stiff figure and his eyes as they watched me, with Penelope's hand returned back to her.

"What's wrong?" Kaylee asked after a few minutes of her following me to the restroom. Her tone was low, and concern was evident on her face, and I suddenly felt guilt eating at me for worrying her.

"I'm sorry, it's nothing," I said, opening the tap to the sink and proceeded in washing my hands.

"It's not nothing, okay? Now come here," she took me by the shoulders after I finished drying my hands, before shutting the toilet seat and pushing me down on it gently, then turned to close the door and lock it.

Her hands were on my knees as she knelt down, and I could tell she was just trying to help me from the understanding look on her face.

"What is it, Cam? You know you can tell me." She said softly, and I felt so grateful for having her as my closest friend.

"It's nothing, it's just— did you see when Ethan was having a coughing fit? Well, just one look at Penelope's hand on his shoulder and I lost all appetite. I don't know what came into me, but I don't wanna be like that. I- I don't wanna be all clingy and feel sick whenever I see someone touch him." I said, covering my face with my hands.

"God, you didn't tell me it's gonna be like this." I huffed, frustrated at myself when I felt my eyes tearing. Kaylee was always the experienced one between us. And I would have appreciated it if she gave me a heads up about the things one would feel when liking someone.

Yeah, I knew I liked Ethan. Kaylee knew it, too. But apparently, I didn't know what came along with or how to deal with it. Sure, I had gone out on dates before, but nothing ever escalated after them, and I never found myself liking any of my dates like I'm liking Ethan right now.

Sniffing, I fought the tears from coming out, before looking at Kaylee to see her smiling softly at me.

"Now see? That wasn't nothing. I saw her hand, too. And I was this close from flinging my knife at her, and I wouldn't even bother to explain myself after." She said, bringing her index finger and thumb so close that no space was lift between them.

A chuckle leaves my lips before I know, and Kaylee was about to say more when a knock sounded on the door, and we both looked at it. Kaylee motioned for me to wait a second, before she got up to the door and unlocked it, opening it just a fraction, before the door was wide open and Ryan sauntered into the small space that was left in the restroom.

Kaylee relocked the door, before turning to Ryan, "what is it?"

"Bad news, the Andersons are staying here for two weeks," he stated, and Kaylee and I both felt like there was more to it.

"Here as in...?" Kaylee pestered.

"Here," Ryan let out a breath, "as in literally here, at the Bishops".

"That's it, you have to live here. It's our only choice." Kaylee broke the ice after minutes of complete silence in the restroom, and I rolled my eyes.

"I'll be fine, Kaylee, it's not a big deal," I said.

More silence.

"I can't believe I'm helping you in this stuff," Ryan huffed, "but since we're in the same team... how about you make sure he's never home?"

Kaylee nodded thoughtfully, crossing her arms over her chest like she was contemplating the idea.

"Sure, but how?"

"It's not gonna work, and It's not like his parents will let him go out and leave them alone anyway, they're guests after all." I pointed out, and Kaylee nodded,

"She's right, he'll at least have to drag them along."

"Exactly," Ryan smirked, "he'll have to drag them along, and that's when Kaylee and I will take over."

Silence stretched as Ryan and Kaylee stared at me with smirks on their faces, waiting for my approval, even though I knew they were gonna do it either way.

I wasn't worried about Penelope sleeping under the same roof as Ethan.

I wasn't worried about the times I will spend thinking of Penelope being near Ethan, nor the nights I will spend laying in my bed thinking if he'd let her touch him.

All that I could take, I would just have to not witness it, and I'll be fine.

But seeing how Kaylee and Ryan were concerned about me to the point of busying themselves with something as useless as creating a 'plan', made me happy to the point I was ready to be a part in whatever they're planning, however stupid it was.

"Guys, this's completely unnecessary," I began before a smile stretched over my face slowly, "and I love you."