15 | Unexpected Ex

Zipping the bag lastly, I went downstairs and into the kitchen, finding Kaylee sitting on a stool at the island while Ryan was standing at the fridge with a carton of orange juice in his hands, ready to drink from it.

"You might as well keep that," I tried to grimace but broke in a smile anyway, Ryan chocking on the juice from my sudden appearance.

Opening a cupboard, I grabbed my favorite mug, before I put it on the counter and turned to look at Kaylee, and surprisingly enough, she was staring at nothing in particular, her chin perched upon her hand.

"Kay?" I asked, and she turned to look at me, unfocused.

"What's on your mind?" I asked curious and a bit worried. And she hadn't told me about her parents fighting lately.

"What?" She said, now snapping back to reality.

I smiled, filling a kettle with some water before leaving it to boil. "I said, do you want some tea?"

"You know I hate tea, Cam. Now tell me what you really said". She was rolling her eyes once I turned back to look at her.

"What's on your mind?" I asked once again, my hands resting on the counter behind me. "You really wanna know?" She asked, and I suddenly felt worried about what might have been the ungodly thing she was thinking about, making me hesitate to answer.

Chuckling, she shook her head at me, "you should see your face".

Glaring at her, I turned to turn off the stove, before pouring some boiled water into the mug I had prepared.

"I was thinking maybe we should invite Ethan along."

Pausing, I felt everything go still, even Ryan had stopped shuffling things around in the fridge to listen. And ever so slowly, I turned to Kaylee.

"You really think so?"

She nodded, "it's Summer break, you know, and the guy has no friends. He could use some company, and the more people, the more fun we have".

"But I'm his friend," I said, furrowing my eyebrows.

Kaylee smiled, "Exactly".

"Are you ready, kids?" Dad's voice came before him, and then he was materializing into the kitchen with his own duffel bag hanging on his shoulder. Kaylee and Ryan looked at me, none of them answering the question, so turning to Dad, I answered instead.

"Actually, we might need to wait for a bit".

"I can't believe he's actually going with us," I say, my hands crossed under my chest as I stood on the porch with Kaylee and Ryan, watching Ethan as he parked his pickup truck before climbing out and greeting my Dad

"It's really not that hard to believe. He would do anything for you, especially after seeing you in these shorts. I mean, have you seen yourself in them?" Ryan let out a low whistle, followed by Kaylee whacking the back of his head once the words left him, leaving me a blushing mess as I looked away, only to meet Ethan's gaze.