Chapter Sixteen: Proving a point

Chapter Sixteen

...

The first two hours of her surfing lesson had been a bust. She hadn't even had a chance to tell Riley about Georgia, he'd been so keen to get into the water and get started, definitely not wanting to lose this bet.

For the millionth time that day she attempted to stand up as a tiny wave picked up her board. Surfacing from the shallow water seconds later spluttering, she knew Riley was frowning at her from further out in the ocean.

'I totally forgot you were the most unbalanced person on the planet,' he said once she paddled out to him again.

'Shut up, I'm tired!' She was whining but she didn't care anymore, she was sore from stacking it over and over again.

'Suck it up,' he laughed at her from his spot sitting a leg either side of his board. 'I think I may have found the problem though. First of all you need to stand up quicker, you take your sweet ass time and are nearly at the beach before you have a go! And secondly centre your weight, lean that little bit forward rather then backward, it'll stop you falling.'

She just looked at him, 'It doesn't matter what you say Riley.'

'Just try!' He urged her again.

She nodded and climbed back onto her board. She did want to learn how to surf, she just knew it was pointless.

'And try really hard to not fall this time Blondie.'

'Why's that?'

'You have an audience,' Riley grinned at her pointing out to the beach where all his friends were standing hollering and cheering for her.

Whitney's face turned a deathly pale, oh great an audience to watch me fail.

He gave her board a little push as a small enough wave approached and Whitney started paddling like mad, just as he taught her. As the nerves set in once again she cursed the freak who many years ago decided to stand up on a flimsy piece of cardboard and make her life too complicated!

As soon as the wave started to take her off she jumped up much quicker listening to Riley's advice and was surprised to realize she was standing. But within an inch of a second she was flying off the board backwards.

She surfaced as another much larger wave crashed onto her pushing her under the water. Whitney barely had a second to breathe before another wave crashed over her and she began to panic as the rope caught in her leg pulling it in another direction.

Suddenly she felt firm hands grip her waist and yank her upward and she surfaced breathing hard.

'You leant backward Blondie.'

The waves became a lot calmer and she looked up at Riley who was holding her up against him tightly.

'I know,' she admitted. Truthfully she had felt it as soon as she stood up. 'Fuck that was scary though!'

'You alright?' His eyes were laughing at her, only mildly concerned.

She blushed in embarrassment when she realized she was floating out in the ocean in Riley's arms still, pressed up against his hard chest. His grip was tight, probably afraid she'd go under again if he let go. This was getting stupid!

Loud cheers and catcalls from the shore caught their attention and Whitney looked over at them making some vulgar gestures.

'Right! I'm doing this!' She decided firmly.