Chapter Fourteen: Sleepover

Chapter Fourteen - Sleepover

...

As soon as the trucks doors shut and Riley sped off down the driveway the questions and confusions surfaced. He wanted to know why she didn’t tell them about the first note, why she hadn’t called him again rather then involve the police. Why hadn’t she locked her damn doors?

Whitney frowned at him, the magic-hugging moments before were vanishing and the pair were back to their bickering ways. Maybe she should have stayed with Robbie?

‘Fuck Whitney that was pretty stupid leaving it open again,’ he rolled his eyes but she could tell he was angry.

She was almost wishing he would call her Blondie to lighten the mood, almost.

‘I know, I know I’m a retard, whatever! The more important thing is if it’s the same person as last time I thought you said I had nothing to worry about,’ she stared at him pointedly watching him shift awkwardly in his seat.

There! Ha ha! She smirked inwardly.

‘Well I thought I had made myself clear anyway.’

He muttered it under his breath but Whitney heard him loud and clear. ‘What do you mean by that?’

He indicated off the road pulling into his winding driveway parking down near the shed he had fixed her car in. ‘Nothing, don’t worry about it.’

She frowned at him, ‘Did you lie to me on the beach? Did you beat up Warren?’

He looked over at her, ‘I didn’t lie it wasn’t me. Now come on, I need a drink.’

She climbed out of the truck following him up a dimly lit path to the main house where Whitney could hear loud voices and faint music coming from inside. They entered the side door walking into a living room area lined with huge black leather couches and chairs and a TV the size of the wall along the back. The room had a marble bar to the left in which the couches appeared to face in a circular fashion with beer, wine and martini glasses lined up neatly across the top. Whitney was surprised to realize it was perfectly classy – nothing she expected to see from a bunch of surfers.

The Boys were lazing around in the room listening to music and having some drinks and Whitney smiled in recognition at some of them, still not fully able to name them all. She even noticed some girls hanging around, which was new.

‘He leaves with one girl, and comes back with another,’ Charlie grins from his spot next to a pretty brunette who giggled.

Whitney looks over at Riley sharply who was throwing Charlie some seriously dirty looks. She remembered his date earlier and felt slightly uncomfortable. So he’d been dropping her home when he stopped by my house. She frowned at him as he handed her a glass of wine.

‘What?’ He demanded. ‘She came over for a few drinks, realized I wasn’t interested so I took her home, not a big deal.’