Chapter Twenty Three: Secrets and lies

Chapter Twenty-Three

‘What on earth is going on here? Who is this chap Whitney?’ Whitney’s father’s face looked thunderous. ‘You have some explaining to do young lady.’

Whitney just stood in the same spot, her mouth opening and closing like a goldfish, she didn’t really know what to say. Even though she was twenty years old, she felt like a teenager being caught with a boy hiding in her bedroom! She shot Riley a sideways glance to see if he was ok, he was also standing there with the ‘deer-in-headlights’ expression when he caught the word ‘dad’ being uttered out of her mouth.

Riley Bedford definitely did not do parents.

‘I’m uh-uh going to go outside…’ Riley eventually spoke in the awkward silence.

Whitney was almost amused at how he could face a huge bunch of angry drug dealers and keep his calm composure, but as soon as her dad addressed him, balked at the sight.

‘I think that’s a good idea Lad,’ her father shot him a thorough glare.

Riley didn’t even give Whitney a backwards glance as he moved extremely quickly through the bar.

‘Bill, listen,’ Robbie began hesitantly.

‘I don’t want to hear it from you Robert,’ Bill still had his disapproving glare fixed on his daughter. ‘Whitney, I am very disappointed in you.’

‘Let’s get a drink, sit down and have a chat. It’s not that big of a deal,’ Robbie said again trying to keep the peace.

Whitney nodded eagerly, Robbie would surely be able to calm her father down.

‘Absolutely not. We’re going home now.’ He was firm and angry so Whitney didn’t even bother arguing with him.

She mouthed a quick ‘thanks anyway’ to Robbie before collecting her bag at the table and heading to the door. ‘Lila is staying with us tonight Dad, her house is being renovated.’ That was a lie, but he wouldn’t be too happy with the real reason of Lila being too drunk and Whitney trying to cock-block her.

‘Well hurry up and get her, I have the car in the parking lot,’ he shook his head at his daughter as he left just ahead of her.

Whitney approached the large group of Riley’s friends and immediately spotted a very drunk Lila in the centre speaking in some form of accent, probably cross between English and German…It was her party trick whenever she was too drunk.

‘Li, come on we have to go home now,’ Whitney grabbed her friends’ arm lightly pulling it to get her attention.

‘What? No!’ She looked absolutely devastated by the news.

Whitney giggled a bit, ‘Sorry, but I’ll explain later. Don’t be surprised when you find Dad in the car though!’

‘Your dad? Huh?’ Lila was too drunk to comprehend the weirdness of the situation. ‘What’s your dad doing here?’

‘She’s not going anywhere,’ Charlie grinned pulling Lila back into him kissing her nose causing her to erupt into a fit of giggles.

‘Yes she is Charlie,’ Whitney responded firmly pulling Lila back next to her. ‘You think I’d let my drunk friend go home with you and your sex crazed cronies,’ she shot Riley a quick look.

He looked away awkwardly and Whitney would laugh if she wasn’t trying so hard to get Lila off Charlie’s face.

‘Seriously Lila, do you not remember my Dad? If he sees you he’ll kill you first and then call your parents and tell them what you’re doing right now!’