Chapter 30: Time (Toby P.O.V)

I was stunned into silence. My mind reeled as I tried to wrap my head around it. I was going to be a dad. Only question was, was I ready for this? It was a lot to take in.

I mentally slapped myself. I was going to be there for my kid. I take responsibility for my mistakes. Jacie looked away from me, but I instantly pulled her close.

I held her to my chest, resting my head on hers. She gripped me tightly, burying her face in my shirt. She began to silently cry on me. I kissed the top of her head and continued to hold her. We stayed like that until her tears dried. She sniffled and looked up at me.

"Oh Toby, what are we going to do?" she asked.

I wiped a lingering tear from her soft cheek. I let out a deep breath and looked her in the eye.

"We're going to make the best of this and hope for the best. I love you Jacie, and I always will. No matter what, we'll never be apart, and this is just a surprise. We'll be fine," I said gently.

She laughed and kissed me. She wiped her eyes and I couldn't help but smile. Even when her eyes were ringed with red they were still beautiful.

"That's why I love you too. You can make the best of any situation. You're so sweet and gentle, and you're goofy too," she said.

I chuckled and pecked her on the lips. This was scary, being an unmarried dad, but I was ready. It was my fault, I was the one that didn't use protection. I thought back to all of the memories I have with Jacie.

When we first met, when we would always play Slender, even when I lost Gryphon. I remembered when I was jealous of Austin, when I accidentally broke her heart, and when Gabe tried to take her from me. All of the good and bad, it was precious to me.

I suddenly had a sickening thought. What would her dad say? What would our friends say? I messed up Jacie's life. My shoulders sagged at the thought. I guess she could see something was wrong.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

"No, I'm not. I ruined your life, Jacie! Can't you see? Instead of finding the one and growing old together, you're stuck with having the kid of just some boyfriend," I said.

She crossed her arms and pouted. She creased her eyebrows and fixed me with a steely glare.

"You are not just some boyfriend! Toby, I don't wanna find anyone else. I love only you, and you get me when nobody else does. You're my Romeo, you're my everything. You are not and never will be 'just some boyfriend'. Don't you ever say that again, or I swear I will hunt you down and murder you to death until you die," she retorted.

All I could do was laugh and shake my head. She was feisty. Honestly though, I was surprised that she cared about me this much. I mean, let's face this, I wasn't always exactly mature. I was a man-baby.

She smiled and got up. She kissed the top of my head and walked into the kitchen to get coffee. I looked around. An idea sparked in my mind. I got up and ran into my bedroom. I dug through my dresser and picked up a small box. I remembered when I got this.

~*~

I laughed and hugged the last person goodbye. I shut the door and turned around. My mom was still there. She had her arms crossed. She pursed her lips.

"Mom, what are you still doing here?" I asked.

"Hon, you're not twenty anymore. I want grandkids before I die. I know that's quite a ways off, but still. Are you ever going to find someone?" she asked.

I sighed and rolled my eyes. She was so pushy about this. I gently laid my hands on her shoulders.

"Mom, I'm fine. I'll find someone when I will. Just give me time," I assured her.

She moved my hands away. She slid something into my palms. It was a little box. She patted it and walked out. So weird. I shrugged and walked into my room. I threw it into my dresser and shut the drawer. I would he fine on my own.

Maybe.

~*~

I ran back into the living room and sat down. I shoved everything off of the couch. Jacie sat down next to me and handed me a mug of coffee. I was itching. I couldn't wait. I set my mug down. I looked her in the eye.

"Jacie, you're my everything. You're there whenever I'm in trouble, you're caring, and you remember stuff I can't. I'm never gonna be perfect for you, but you still stick with me. All those good times, all those memories. The best were with you. I'm hoping we can make many more," I said.

She gasped as I got down on the floor and knelt in front of her. Tears welled in her eyes. I sucked in a deep breath. This was it. I opened the box, where inside laid a ring.

It was inlaid with onyx and obsidian. It was made in Hawaii, where my mother had found it and gave it to me. I built up the courage.

"Jacelynne, will you marry me?"

~*~*~*~*~

SO SHORT BUT I WANTED TO GET TO THE POINT OKIE BYES