A Family Divided

It was a hot summer night so I left my window open. I drifted off to sleep but I was awakened by a thud. I opened my eyes but saw nothing so I fell asleep again. I felt hot breath on my neck and pushed the person off of me. Salem laughed at me when he saw my face. He could be such an asshole. He climbed in my bed and I glared at him. Instead of yelling at him I just rolled back over and closed my eyes until I heard a shrill scream fill the house.

       I jumped up and Salem was still sleeping. I shook him awake then ran out of the room and he followed me. We ran downstairs to see what happened and we saw our mother being held at gunpoint by a man. He was yelling and a gunshot soon fired. This time I screamed and the man looked to me with these disturbingly content eyes. He began to walk towards me and Salem got in front of me.

       The man got angry at Salem and smacked him across his face. Salem fell to the floor and the man kicked him in his stomach. The man began to walk closer an inch at a time and I backed up against the wall. He pushed me up against the wall with immense force and I stiffened in fear. It wasn’t until he whispered, “You look just like a bitch” that I fought with all my might. I kicked him in the crotch with all the force I had left in me and Salem was pulling him off of me. After breaking free we ran over to our mother.

       She was alive but I knew she wouldn’t make it. I felt tears stream down my cheeks when I saw her. We crouched down on our knees so we could talk to her. Salem’s eyes were full of pain so I knew that he wouldn’t say anything.“Mom.”, my voice was extremely hoarse as I spoke. “ Oh my babies. You are gonna do something very important. Sozin I want you to take my amulet right now and put it on. It’s yours now. Salem I need you to move over a couple of inches. I know it may sound weird but please do it.”, I put on the amulet like she said and Salem moved.”Salem and Sozin I’m not gonna make it out of here tonight but you two will. I’ll make sure of it. Just know that I love you two very much.” she said as tears began to well in her eyes.

              I was sad for a second but then I began to get extremely angry. I heard the man laugh and I turned around as he stood up. “You really are a bitch.”, he spat as he fired two shots. Time seemed to slow as I watched the bullets fly through the air. One bullet had scraped my brother’s face and the other went directly into my amulet. The amulet shattered and I screamed as the house shook.

        I jumped up in bed panting heavily until I felt a hand on my arm. I turned to look at Salem. He looked at me with worried eyes. I nodded and he relaxed and went back to sleep. We were fourteen when that happened and at two years later it still haunts me just the same. As I shook the thought out of my head, I looked at the clock and it read 6:15. I decided to take a shower seeing as school starts at 8:50.

         I turned on the water and started my music. Not even five minutes later I heard Salem walk in the bathroom. He walked over to the toilet and used it. He walked over to the shower and pulled back the curtain. I jumped in surprise and hid behind the curtain. “Hey bro. Want some company?”,he asked nonchalantly. “No! Get out!”, I yelled and he chuckled while walking over to the sink. “Ok. Tell me if you change your mind.”, He replied with a wink before brushing his teeth.

        I am Sozin Anniatta. Salem is my twin brother. He thinks that since he’s five minutes older that he can do whatever he wants. He’s weird and so is our relationship. People viewing it from the outside think weird stuff but it isn’t like that. Even though he says things that I wouldn’t even think of saying sometimes. Regardless, he’s my brother. I know that he would take a bullet for me again. I know that the night that man killed our mother still haunts him too even if he won’t admit it.