FortyTwo - Kyle

Almost everyone was inside, after dinner, visiting and talking or however they spent their evenings. Squirrel and Bambi had walked out past the well where someone, I'd guess Atlas, had set up a target for them to practice on. It hadn't been there before. Had to give it to the girls, they were dedicated. I'd watched for a few minutes and was impressed, especially with the younger girl as she practiced throwing knives. I assumed it was something Hunter taught her because she was a tiny little bad ass. Squirrel wasn't as confident or skilled, but she held her own. Gremlin wasn't anywhere to be seen, she'd been moping around all day, sad that Atlas left with the others.

I could understand that.

"It's quiet," Miles said, meeting me out behind the chapel.

"Didn't even see a zombie," I said.

He shook his head. He hadn't seen one either. It wasn't all that weird. The church was miles away from any big city and the community inside was quiet, so I knew it wasn't uncommon to go a few days here and there with no zombie action. But it made for a boring day, boring patrol.

"Maybe two days," he said. "We head back to base."

I nodded. "I was thinking tomorrow. There's nothing here. It was good to stay and be careful - lookout for these people. But if they were here waiting, we would have seen some sign by now."

"We'll have to find someone to replace Joel," Miles said not bothering to hide the disappointment. Joel had made his decision and he was done. He felt like he needed to stay with his sister and I respected that. Miles was a little less understanding, but he got it. Mostly, he just didn't want to have to replace anyone. The three of us - four when we had Hunter - worked together for years and that created a trust that couldn't be replicated over night. "Where is he?"

"He was out with the younger girls at the target. I think he was trying to show Jamie—"

It didn't happen in slow motion. Closer to super speed.

Miles was there, standing in front of me. And then he wasn't.

Like he'd teleported, or somehow turned invisible. Those were the first explanations my brain came up with. They made more sense than the reality.

I stood there, confused.

And then the pops started. Not just one. Not just two. Not even just ten. Over and over again. Distant, but not enough.

I lost balance, my left leg buckling out from under me as something that felt like a hammer slammed into my thigh. My eyes drew down to my leg but stopped short. Miles hadn't disappeared. Pain forgotten, I collapsed down beside my friend.

"Miles," I said desperate for a response. My throat swollen with panic. "Miles."

I shook his shoulders.

"Come on, Miles."

I lightly smacked his cheek once, twice, three times. Get up. Get. Up. We have to go. We have to get up. But it was all wrong. Everything was so wrong. More pops filled my ears. Closer. But they didn't register. All that registered as my eyes focused was Miles' eyes. They weren't closed in a state of unconsciousness. They were parted, lifeless.

"No." Tears pricked my eyes. I grabbed his head in my hands, lifting him up. I just have to wake him up. I pulled Miles over, closer to inspect his body. My fingers found the base of his throat, but my hands were shaking and couldn't make out a pulse. It means nothing, I told myself. It wasn't uncommon in a state of high adrenaline that finding a pulse was difficult, especially if he was injured and it was weak... Find the injury. I moved down. His chest. His stomach. I couldn't find it, where he'd been injured. There was nothing. No wound. No explanation for the blood covering my hands.