Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit

The next day, Frodo and Sam had set up a small campfire and Sam was preparing a delicious meal over it. Gollum was nowhere to be seen.

"I wonder where that Gollum creature wandered off to." mumbled Sam. "Probably causing more mischief."

A half hour later, Gollum came back with two dead rabbits. "Look! Look! See what Sméagol finds! They are young! They are tender and nice. Yes they are! Eat them! Eat them!"

"You'll make him sick you will, behaving like that." protested Sam. "There's only one way to eat a brace of coneys."

Sam took the rabbits and prepared them for a nice, savoury stew.

"Stupid fat hobbit!" Gollum complained. "You ruins it!"

"What's to ruin? There's hardly any meat on them." said Sam. "Now, what we need is a few good taters."

"What's taters? Precious, what's taters?" asked Gollum, curiously.

"Po-ta-toes!" Sam retorted. "Boil them, mash them, stick them in a stew! Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish. Even you wouldn't say no to that."

"Oh, yes we could!" grumbled Gollum. "Spoiling nice fish! Give it to us raw and wriggling! You keep nasty chips!"

"You're unbelievable." muttered Sam.

Frodo heard a loud noise in the distance. He wandered off and searched for the source of the noise.

Sam and Gollum followed him from behind. The three crouched down onto the ground and saw an army of Easterlings passing through.

"Who are they?"asked Sam.

"Wicked men

"Wicked men. Servants of Sauron." replied Gollum. "They are called to Mordor. The Dark One is gathering all armies to him. It won't be long now. It will soon be ready."

"Ready to do what?" asked Sam, fearfully.

"To make His war." answered Gollum. "The last war that will cover all the world in shadow."

"We've got to keep moving." replied Frodo. "Come on, Sam."

Just before Frodo got up, Sam stopped him. The two hobbits saw many large beasts.

"Mister Frodo!" said Sam, in awe. "Look! It's an Oliphant! No one at home will believe this."

There was a loud trumpeting sound. All of a sudden, the Easterlings were being attacked. A body was struck down in front of the hobbits.

"We've lingered here far too long." said Frodo. Come on, Sam."

Just before they could leave, several tall, mysterious men appeared in front of them. Sam was pinned down to the ground by one of them, who's head was covered with a dark green hood.

"Wait! We're innocent travellers." Sam cried.

"There are no travelers in this land, only servants of the Dark Tower." said the hooded man, mysteriously.

"We are bound to an errand of secrecy. Those that claim to oppose the enemy would do well not to hinder us." stated Frodo. "

"The enemy?" inquired the hooded man. "War will make corpses of us all. Bind their hands!"