Chapter Thirteen

The hills outside of Black Hound, were pristine. The smell of vomit and feces from the pandemonium had been blowing in the opposite direction. When we reached a river, the Miskatonic I believe, we had to decide how to cross. from there it’d be a straight, clear shot to Incursia.

“We could make a boat.” Anya suggested.

“Out of what?” I asked.

“Wood.” she clarified.

“What wood?” I asked.

“Wood from trees.”

“What trees are there here?” I asked motioning to the severe dearth of trees around us.

“Oh,” she said, dejectedly, “Well now you’re just being picky.”

I hit my face with the palm of my hand. We stood for a few minutes, thinking of different ways to she could say and I could subsequently deny the idea of making a boat.

“Maybe we could use the bridge over there.” Allister chimed in.

“What bridge?” Anya and I said together.

“That one.” He pointed. In the distance there was indeed a bridge. Closer inspection revealed it to be of stone. It had been spanning this river for clearly some time. When we walked up to the bridge some  indescribable, fast-moving shape blocked our path.

“Halt!” It yelled, in a comically high pitched voice. Stand there was a tiny rodent creature. It wore a fez and carried a tiny little staff around with it, probably to make tiny little proclamations.The three of us burst into laughter, almost falling onto the ground.

“Who are you supposed to be?” I asked wiping a tear from my eye, “The troll under the bridge.”

“Indeed,” It said, “I am Malfinix, the bridge troll. Who dares attempt to cross this overpass?”

“We dare.” Allister said, taking deep breaths, hands on knees.

“What are you finding humor in, human?” Malfinix demanded.

“Just, your size,” Al responded. The troll jumped up and slammed his staff into Allister’s head, causing him to fall to the ground.

“My stature is no laughing matter.” He squeaked.

"Fine, what ever mean." Allister said, rubbing his head.

"I going to go out on a limb, and assume that three is some sort of challenge, question, or favor we have to do so that you may allow us to pass." I said.

"Well, of course." He said.

"So what is it?" Anya asked.

"I need..." Pausing for dramatic effect. "A shrubbery!"

"¿Que?" Allister asked.

"Necesito un plantió de arbustos." He said.

"Common, please." I said.

"I need a shrubbery." He repeated for the this time.

"How about a few pieces of shredded paper?" Allister said.

"That will do." He said.

Allister reached into his bag, pulling out a piece of parchment. He then proceeded to shred it to bits. When he finished he threw it into the air above Malfinix. The troll jumped wildly in the air, drastically trying to catch all the pieces.

"Well, that was invigorating." He said after having collected a large stash with his arms. He the turned around, letting us pass. It was the first time I noticed he was wearing a little red cape. I couldn't help but giggle.

We were now on our way, ever nearer, to Incursia.