Chapter Twenty-Six

The group, Allister, Anya, Phil, and the Stranger, sat around the fire.

"Why are you guys always doing things? Allister asked.

"What do you mean?" I replied, throwing my coat onto the counter.

"You guys are always out," he said, "I don't like it, you guys are probably having sex when you're out too."

"Those are things couples do. They go out and have sex, sometimes at the same time." I said. "Are you drunk?"

"Yeah, I found a way." He said, "I won't bore you with the details. But it works." I noticed a gauze bandage taped to his temple and decided not to delve deeper into it.

"What are you guys doing here?" I asked the group. "It's just after midnight."

"We arrived here at about dusk." Anya said.

"The Kraken arrived today." The Stranger said. I remembered why I was even in Incursia. I still had a quest to do.

"Well, the was convenient." May said.

"It is?" I asked.

"It means I can go with you without missing school." She said.

I didn't even think of that.

"I guess it does." I said.

"Do you not want me to come with you guys?" She asked.

"Oooooh." Allister motioned, placing his hand over his mouth gleefully.

I gave him a look. "No, it's not anything like that. I just didn't think about it. The last time was that night you asked about the rune." I pointed at the Stranger, "You lied about the rune."

"I've been known to lie, you know who I am." He said, I couldn't argue. "What was it this time?"

"You said the rune was powerless, without a charge." I said.

"You really think I'm going to tell random people, who I just met, that they carry the most powerful item ever and that it's still usable. I may have been dupped with that forest, I'm not that dumb."

"When do we talk with the Kraken?" Anya asked, keeping the conversation on task.

"Tomor-" He checked the time. "Later, shortly after sun up. It's likely he'll want to leave soon after. The Kraken gets anxious around the mainland, some people after him I guess." There wasn't much to talk about after that; so the gang left.

May turned to me when the group was out the door. "what do you mean that  you didn't think about it?"

"I just forgot." I said. "It wasn't important to me. The only reason I went along with the journey was because I had nothing else, no job, no family worth seeing, just nothing. I figured that I would find myself in the adventure; instead I found you. I don't need the adventure anymore."

"So you don't want to go?" She asked, sadly.

"Do you?" I asked.

"Well, kinda."

I stood up and wrapped my arms around her. I whispered into her ear. "Then tomorrow, we speak to the Kraken." We climbed up the stairs and two slipped into a bed that fit one.