Chapter Twenty-Nine

We took to sea early the next morning after rest and resupply. The day was relatively calm as we sailed north and the air cooled around us. The water had begun to have scatterings of ice chunks floating about. Every once in a while we'd see an actual iceberg. As the air froze we huddled up to Molly for warmth, which seemed to calm him done since the last leg of the trip.

We reached Stav'on Port about a week behind schedule due to the storm and emergency stop. The port was a small city, nowhere near as big as Incursia, and was nestled between two massive, craggy glaciers. The day was almost perpetually the opposite. Because of our location up north, the city only received about six months of sun all year and most of it at the same time. we arrived in the week or so period of twilight that they got.

Smoke bellowed from the chimneys and fire pits that filled the city, filling the 'evening' sky with a grey haze. Our ship docked in one of the cities three large docking areas. Though it was a big trading hub for the far north, it didn't mean it got much trade; few crews would risk a trip this far. Instead, the city made most of its coin in the exportation of coal, abundant in the nearby mountains, and bottled 'glacial' water.

I looked at the map of the area that the Stranger gave us before we parted ways. We were to take the northern passage east, and after we cross over Mt. TotallyHarmless we'd head south until we reach New Qurat. A journey, that by my estimates, would take about three months, maybe three and a half. Of course, that didn't include the week we'd be in Stav'on Port preparing for the trip.

We, May and I, found a small inn to stay in for the duration of our short stay. It was called The Winter Knight and was probably the coziest inn I've ever stayed in. Each room had a hearth and it's own set of furniture. The bed was built for two, a big change for us. And the window looked out at the dark blue surface of the sea.

I quickly ran to a market to purchase a few necessities. The market was pretty big compared to most things in this town. It took me almost an hour to find what I needed. I bought the provisions and decided to try the glacier water. That shit cost fifteen silver a bottle, way too overpriced for some melted snow.

When I returned to The Winter knight the kind old lady behind the counter, Prana, greeted me. I returned the greeting and brought my purchases into my and May's room. May was laying spread out on the bed, taking advantage of it's size and reading a book on advanced imprinting that she brought with her. She was wearing the top half of some clothes she bought when we entered town, they were specifically designed for the purpose of sleeping.

I placed the bags of groceries on a table in the corner of the room. May looked up at me.

"Hey Ardy," she greeted, "Did you know that the rune you have on your chest is in this book?"

I touched the Rune of Oldfyre. "Really?"

"Yeah," she replied handing me the book, "it's used as an example on abyssal enchanting. It houses the souls of major demons and harnesses the energy of pure nothing." She said.

I looked at the book and read the words I could understand, I wasn't an enchanter and there was a ton of technical jargon in the book. "I guess I shouldn't break it then." I said, looking up from the page.

"There is something you can break." She said, seductively.

"I don't know if I like what that's suggesting." I began, "Why would I want to brea-"

"Just get in the fucking bed." She ordered.

"Yes my lady." I said, obeying her command.