Chapter Twenty-One

An hour or two later we were silent in the bed. I won’t get into details. I’ll simply say “Yes” to almost any question you may have asked. She was laying on top of me, the bed designed to fit one person. The world slowed down during this time. Minutes passed like hours as we laid comfortably in our rose tinted world of sultry happiness. I wouldn’t have it any other way.

“When is the play?” She asked, half asleep.

“Tomorrow night at around midnight.” I told her.

“Okay,” She said, awkwardly getting up. Her dark hair fell over her naked back.

“Where are you going?” I asked.

“To wash u-” She stopped, looking at something on the floor. She bent over to pick it up, not a bad view if I say so myself. She stood back up and handed me the rune. It must have fallen onto the floor at some point. “What is this?” She asked.

“It’s a rune.” I told her.

“You have a rune?” She asked, yawning.

“Yeah, it’s called the Rune of Oldfyre.” I said. The look she gave me could melt steel.

“Could you say that again?” Now fully awake.

“It’s called the Rune of Oldfyre.” I repeated. She sat back on the bed. Face clearly displaying astonishment.

“Do you mean the real Rune of Oldfyre, or do you mean some cheap knock off replica some nerd made in his garage?”

“From what I can tell, it’s the real thing.” I said. I told her of how I procured it and of how I taken up the duty of delivering it.

“So you have, just lying around in your apartment, the most powerful magically imprinted item in the world. And you didn’t tell your ENCHANTRESS girlfriend.” She said, a bit angry.

“Sorry,” I said, “It just, kinda slipped my mind.”

“Why haven’t you used it yet?” She asked.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s a rune, they amplify and change magic. You’re a wizard Ardy, you cast and command magic. Put two-and-two together.” She said.

“I was told that it was out of charge.” I informed her.

“Who told you that?”

“Death did.” I said.

“It was created by the most powerful group of enchanters ever. They didn’t have it powered by a few D batteries, it doesn’t require a charge.” She told me.

I sat up, “Are you saying that I have a usable rune. And furthermore, it is the most powerful rune ever created?”

“I am indeed.” She said.

This conversation was very informal, and surreal.  It felt so surreal because it was done completely in the nude.

“You are such a numbskull.” She said.