Chapter 23 - One Last Day On British Soil

"We could just get sushi or something." I complain beside Toby in the back of a classic London taxi. His always present smile widens in response as I look over at him with a fed up and hungry glare. I can't stay mad because it's that smile, my smile, slicing through his lips, that smile you could say I'm irrationally obsessed with.

"Girl," He begins in his street worthy tone of voice. "Stop your moaning." I do, instead I giggle at his stupid yet rather cute face that happens to be pulled into a pose that I imagine is supposed to fit with the accent but instead just makes him look like he is constipated... Not that I've seen that.

The taxi jolts to a stop and we are summoned out and into the cold gust of wind that flurries it way down the street with a fee, of course. Thanking the cab driver, I step out, seconds before the car is driven away, to be met by Toby with his hand out to take mine and the other behind his bent back. I laugh and shove him to the side, explaining that I clearly 'don't need no man helpin this bitch out da car'. Thank you, I do realize my pronunciation is practically flawless.

"Fine then be an independent women." He says with a false annoyance, looking in the opposite direction just to show how very upset he is. "But you don't get to hold my hand." He adds, crossing his arms firmly around his chest. I dramatically gasp, holding a hand to my head.

"How shall I ever live on without the comfort of my lover's grasp?" Trying to hide my escaping giggles I walk off, leaving Toby standing there. I slip in to the entrance of Mark's and Spencer's with Toby calling on my heels. Totally oblivious to the slightly confused passers by I stop to greet him in the vegetable section. "On a serious note,"

"What? I thought that was serious!" Toby jokes, interrupting me in the process. I give him a smile before continuing with my food related proposition.

"What is it you wanna cook?" I ask, reaching for his hand and stepping a little closer. It's like there's some sort of force pushing me towards him and the only thing I am capable of doing is hanging on to him for comfort. Since Rhine's been out of Death's reach his constant murmurs of comfort and reassurance have become rare and spaced out, I miss that. I just like knowing he knows how to be there properly when no one else does. He's proved that over the last few months in the best way he could: by simply helping me through it.

"Psshhh, I don't know! I just wanted to get out a' that damn hotel room. Do you know how tedious editing can get after a couple hours?." I give him a stern yet slightly confused glare, letting go of his hand. "Yeah, I didn't think so." He says with a soft smile and of course it breaks my annoyance instantly as he reaches for my hand I so rudely pulled away.

"Well okay! Fine, whatever but I'm hungry and I wanna eat really freaking bad, let's go restaurant hunting." I say, once again settling for my very serious, very sincere tone.

 The Hard Rock Cafe for the second time because why not.

"I cannot believe with all the places to eat in London we come back here." I complain, yet still with a happy and content tone of voice, taking a well-deserved sip from my beloved favourite, Jack Daniel's and Coke. Toby smirks at me as we wait at the bar; today it's totally crowded so we had to wait at the bar with a weird buzzer thing. “I mean, don’t get me wrong I do love burgers but like, we should have gone somewhere else like…” I slowly stop talking, realising I don’t actually know of anywhere else in London other than some monuments and stuff. I smile at the stupidity of my comment; he looks back in return with a distant expression and a forced twitch of the mouth. “What’s the matter? You seem a little brain dead.” That really makes him laugh.

“No, no. I was thinking about stuff back home. Like, do you think Griffin will hate me for leaving him with Ciara? You know how incredibly evil she is.” Toby jokes like he does with everything, something I always have appreciated about him, even before we had met but I’m so glad that we did. Since then I feel like something has changed like a small glitch within my network has been fixed along with the arrival of Toby. Everything feels just right.

“Psshh, I doubt it but just in case how about we spend a load on him, I’m thinking dog biscuits, even the whole shop if you want.” I laugh, cunningly placing my hand on his knee as we sit facing each other besides the bar. With the touch of my hand he leans just a tiny bit closer but enough for only me to notice. I felt my stomach growl and the hope of wanting that freaking black box sat on the bar to vibrate renewed itself, I don’t even want to remind myself of what a burger simply looked like.

“I really miss him, is that stupid?” he says making me shake my head and giggle. “I know we’ve only been gone for like a week and a bit but still, he’s my buddy.” Toby mutters with a small helping of sad tones and a hint of puppy eyes, he is just homesick and I am too.

“Awe babe, you’re just homesick,” I state, voicing my thoughts and using a new pet name I used to consider dumb. What’s happening to me? I’m not acting like an awkwardly massive sloth like usual. “And I am too. Not to worry, we shall both be back in Los Angeles this time tomorrow.” I add, rubbing his knew in hope of comforting him, despite the fact Toby is a grown man. It’s the thought that count, though.

Finally our buzzer begins to vibrate and, taking our drinks with us, we head our way to the front of the restaurant where our waiter, this time happily there were only two waitresses in site and neither of them looked like that one who last time we came had a thing for Toby, led us to our table right beside the window which looks out onto the road with cars and people walking on the street. He passes our menus to each of us as we sat down and then walks off, giving us some time to consider what we wanted to stuff ourselves with.

“What are you gonna have?” Toby asks after a few minutes of vigorous staring at the list of dishes. “I can’t make my mind up.”

“Umm.” I pause, looking across at Toby as he furrows his eyebrows at the menu. “ I don’t know, I’m thinking ribs but the burgers sound real good.” You wouldn’t think it to be so hard, it’s not like this is my last meal of my life. I take another mouthful of my drink, now feeling a slight effect from the alcohol which considering it’s my first drink of the night is ridiculous, but I’ve always been known to be an utter lightweight.

“With that in mind I propose a change of subject.” He says I nod in response. “TWANSITION!” He bellows loudly making a few people awkwardly glance over, I just laugh. That is such a Toby thing to do that I sometimes forget how very mad he is which is funny if you think about it, I spend so much time with him that you’d think I notice it more, instead it’s the exact opposite. “Anyways, how are you?” He queries, which although it shouldn’t slightly surprise me I expected something about his new game or something not this, not me.

“I’m fine.” I reply, not knowing how much he wanted an in depth answer.

“Oh come! You barely even thought about that, you silly, silly Buscus.”  Toby complains, giving me a false look of anger. “I want to know how you literally feel. Does your bum tingle or maybe it’s your nose?” He pauses, dismissing his childlike demeanour and replacing it with his usual adult self.

“And why is that?” I ponder with a smile.

“Because isn’t that what people in love do?” He lifts the corner of his mouth. “to know each other’s hopes and dreams and biggest fears." I wait for him to finish before I said anything. "I don’t know about you, Skye Marlo, but I think I’m in love.”