Chapter 6 - Hell And Fault

I was practically dying and crying like a complete and utter dingus so like it or go away. I have been through emotional pain to  acquire this damn chapter. Be nice. And enjoy.

Chapter 6 - Hell and Fault

 This is not happening, but it still is. I can't change, manipulate or stop it, She could die. And I feel like it's my fault, all my fucking fault. If only I hadn't told her to leave this morning then this wouldn't have happened. Right? That's the thing with if  you can't change it but you want to.

"It is my fault." I state. My tears burning my eyes, and I keep them there smouldering, blurring my vision.  At least I try to.

"Don't blame yourself Sweetie, How could it be your fault." Karen speaks only a whisper in my ear now, a rhetorical question but I still answer.

"I told her to leave because I wanted to do my damn fucking pieces! It's my fault, my fault Rhine is in a coma." I am shouting now, tears streaming down my face, down my chin and neck. Angry at my self. Guilt and self hate feel like all that exists now.

"Come to the hospital." Karen says in the most masked tone, not a question but an order. And hangs up with the line completely dead.

I can't. How could I look at her on a hard, white bed , still and quite? But I still go. The drive is short and painful but I try to drive slow my foot edging the machine forward against my will, like my body is taking over.

Once I get past the waiting room and down the hall way, I get to her room at the end of the very long, very chemical hall. I knock. I don't want to do this but I need to do this.

"Come in." A hugely unfamiliar voice gently beckons.

Hating my legs, I walk in and grasp the industrial looking door handle. A kind faced doctor greets me, dark drown hair, green eyes and a smile that honestly didn't suit the place we are standing in.

I see Rhine now and I was right; she is still and quite. Also, her skin is ivory, her eyes sunken with deep dark buckets. She looked thinner now, all skin and bones. Karen is here, duh. her makeup is all down her face and smudged. Where was Ethan?

"How'd it happen?" I demand, before this fake doctor asks me my name or who I am to the victim on the stone grey bed. He doesn't need to know who I am. I just stared at her face, they both aren't sure who it is directed at and neither do I. I need to just know how.

" She has serious head injuries." The doctor says, not at all fazed. Dick.

 "How. Not what." I say, I'm just pissed now. I stare at his young I-am so-hypothetically-going-kill-you-face.

This feeling of sadness is somehow different from anything else, not at all like the Cade situation that was self pity and shame. This is guilt and anger because I know this is my fault.

"Shoes with wheels, she whacked her freaking head on a concrete floor. I told her not to, I told her don't buy them." Now Karen speaks eyes stuck to the window as if the most interesting life changing thing had just appeared.

"Heelys." I say, not knowing why I said it.

"Rhine is in a coma and we aren't  sure when she will come back." Doctor asshole, not even looking up.

"No shit Sherlock." I say bluntly. He doesn't answer but just carries on.

"But one of the last senses to go while in a coma is hearing, so right now she can hear us." Doctor asshole says. Really? Is he playing with me?

"Really? or are you being a dick?" I ask. Not believing him, I mean I'd seen it in films and I had read a book about it, which made me cry. I hope.

"I wouldn't be doing my job if I was lying." He stares at me now, judgmentally.

I make my way to Rhine's side, kneel beside the bed, sink into her shoulder and cry, tears soaking her bland garments. I sob hardly she feels so fragile.

"I'll go." Asshole ups and leaves.

"I'm sorry, Rhine." I yelp into her neck and her beautiful hair, ruining it. "I'm sorry I told you to leave my house, just don't give upon this, please just don't."

Karen's still looking out the glass, but hears me and shivers but I guess she doesn't look at me, I wouldn't look at me.

I sit there for so long I don't know how long. Eventually Karen goes and mumbles something about food and a cafeteria. 

This is all my fault, I should have let her stay. But I am a selfish, heartless bitch. And everyone has me to blame. And hate. I just want her to wake up and tell me she is fine and we go home to  watch Toby's videos, eat Doritos and talk about how much we would kill to have that awesome helmet on the Skyrim disc box in real life.

9:03pm

"We need to leave now, Skye." Mason wakes me in the most soft voice his deep tone could go, Rhine's dad. 

I scratch my head and look at my surroundings, I had managed to wrap myself around Rhine and all the tubes, too. A protective shell for a weak interior.

"But we can't leave her, she needs us especially now." I say, sitting up.

" The Doctor said for the first night they need to keep an eye on her brain activity and it will be easier for them." He thinks for a moment. "and us."

"Doctor asshole, of course." I say frustrated. Looking at Mason, he is miserable and colourless, we all are. Not mention Rhine.

"Skye please don't be like that, It's just easier and smoother like this." He pleads. Yeah, till it all boils down into absolutely nothing because Rhine is gone and the hospital forgets about it like nothing fucking happened.

"Right." I say, short and burning, just like my temper.

Mason pulls me up from the bed with one strong hand. I feel my body, every stiff bone and muscle. We walk back down the hall and the impression of a million flights of stairs. I see Karen and Ethan just by the entrance. I hug Ethan as we approach.

"I'm sorry. Blame me." I whisper into his ear, if either of Rhine's parents heard they would just say 'don't blame yourself' but they don't feel what I feel. Ethan pulls, away giving me a quizzical expression. " I will text you." I say. He of all people needs an explanation. Even though he is one of best friends he will still hate me.

"Ethan? Skye? Can you drive yourselves home?" Karen flatly asks.

"Yeah." Ethan says. I just nod.

"Are you two sure? Me and Karen can drive one of you each home." Mason's eyes beam with sudden energy from concern.

"Really, we will be fine, well I know I will." Ethan persuades them both. All three of them stare widely at me expecting me to assure them. 

I just nod, wish them goodbye then walk out of the door, into the now dark parking lot and fresh air. I had parked my car pretty close to the doors so I am out and onto the open road pretty fast. I don't even see Ethan or the Crafter parents get out of the chemical scented depressing centre.

The drive back to pergatory is better than the drive to hell, but that to me sounds very logical.

Depression feels like a wonderful thing now.