Chapter 22 - Choices

Hey everyone :)

Make sure to drop a comment below if you like the story and also vote.

-Ariana xx

*****

“Gang?” Jess whispered, voice laced with disbelief. I myself was shocked. Sure, Liam was a little rough around the edges, but a gang?

“Yeah, love. A-A gang,” he swallowed loudly, looking away. His little sister suddenly shoved him backwards and jumped off of his lap, swaying slightly but standing tall nonetheless.

“I can’t believe you!” she yelled, fury alight in her eyes. “You’re supposed to protect us and you get mixed up in this gang shi-“

“Language,” he interrupted only to receive a nasty glare.

“You have no right to tell me what to do when you can’t even make choices for yourself,” she growled, stomping over to me and taking her sister into her arms. She began to storm to her room when she stopped and looked over her shoulder, tears evident.

“You lied to me,” she whispered. “You promised you would never be like dad. You lied to me, Liam. I hope you’re happy with your little posse of delinquents.”

“Jess-“ he called after her only to be met with a slamming door. That was all it took for him to let his head drop to his hands, his breaths shaky.

“I screwed up, Brin,” he choked, his teary gaze rising to meet mine. “B-but I didn’t have a choice. I don’t have a choice.”

“There’s always a choice, Liam,” I sighed, standing and shuffling over to his huddled form. He almost looked like a scared child, huddled up and looking for reassurance. “You just made a mistake.”

“NO!” he sobbed, grabbing my hand and squeezing it tightly. “I WASN’T GIVEN A CHOICE.”

“What do you mean?” I whispered, reversing our hold so my smaller hand was covering his own. “You were forced?”

“My dad was an abusive dick,” he mumbled, looking down at his lap. “When I was fourteen, I caught him about to rape Jessie. So I packed up my sisters and took them as far away as I could.”

“What about your mom?” I asked softly, watching as he tensed.

“She refused to believe that her husband would do such a thing,” he laughed bitterly. “To this day she still hates me with every bone in her body for making him leave her.”

“What does this have to do with the gang though?” I muttered confusedly.

“I was a scrawny fourteen year old who couldn’t provide for his sisters let alone protect them,” he said quietly. “A man offered to teach me how to fight and I accepted. Not long after, he found out about my situation and offered me a gig at the fight club. I got paid well and was able to take care of my family. But then he was killed in a shooting and his douchebag of a son took over.”

“Scotty,” I breathed. “It all makes sense.” Liam nodded and his shoulders slumped once again.

“This is the only way I have of making money for them,” he sniffled. “I don’t like it but I also don’t have a choice. I’d rather fight every night then let those two girls over there starve.”

“I’m sorry,” I whispered, wrapping my arms around his broad shoulders and hugging him tightly. “I’m so sorry, Liam.”

“I don’t have a choice,” he cried, body shaking with his sobs. “I’ve never had a choice.” Tears pricked my eyes as I saw this man fall apart in front of me, all of that pain he’s held in becoming too much. He shook his head, shoving me away slightly and standing up leaving me stunned on the floor. His shoulders were squared as he swiped his eyes and looked down at me, visage steely.

“I don’t have a choice,” he repeated firmly. “I do what I have to do to provide for my family. End of conversation.”

“Liam, I never said what you did was wrong-,” I began, confused by his behavior when he cut me off.

“Just drop it, Brinlee,” he ordered roughly, about to turn away when I started to stand.

“Li-“

“I SAID DROP IT, KID! DAMNIT STOP BEING SO ANNOYING!” he yelled, his words striking a chord within me. Liam had always been a bit angry at times, but he had never outright yelled at me like that. I stared up at him wide eyed and terrified, feeling like the scared kid in the closet I used to always be.

“Brin…I didn’t mean to-” he breathed, face shocked as he stepped forward. I cowered back and scrambled away from him, pushing myself against the wall.

“I’m sorry I made you mad,” I whimpered as he approached me, my hands raising and head lowering to protect myself. “Liam, please-“ A gentle grip slipped around my wrists and he pulled my hands down, the silence in the room almost deafening.

“I’m not gonna hurt you. I’d never hurt you,” he soothed. “Look at me, love.” I slowly raised my gaze to meet his, tears slipping down my cheeks.

“I didn’t mean to raise my voice,” he said softly. “I’m sorry I did. But Brinlee, no matter how mad I am I would never lay a hand on you. You know that, don’t you?” I bit my lip and slowly nodded, flinching slightly when he brushed away the tears on my cheeks. The dejected look on his face made my heart wrench, my lip being drawn between my teeth as I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around his neck.

“I’m sorry I got angry,” he apologized, pressing a kiss to my temple. I simply nodded, nuzzling into his chest as he swayed from side to side. There was so much that we had to work out; my sister, this gang business, hell even our relationship if you could even call it that. But at that moment, I was perfectly fine right where I was and I had no plans on moving any time soon. From the looks of it, he didn’t either…