A New Day in America

A month had passed since the dueling accident. Everyone else carried on like nothing was wrong but Miles knew different and the letter he received from Trey only confirmed his feelings. Every night he would pull it out and read it, trying to decipher more information from it.

Miles,

I hope that you are well and that you're enjoying school. I stayed in New York City for a while, and then I returned to Mississippi. Mother is well and asked about you and she hopes that you are enjoying school as well. See you at Thanksgiving.

Your brother, Trey.

Trey had never spoken like that in his entire life and furthermore, Mama would not hope that Miles was having a great time at school. Miles knew he had to get to the bottom of what was going on and he had to find out what the absolute was. He combed the library between every class hoping to find something but came up empty handed. Javi and Drew wondered what had happened to Miles but they just figured it was from the accident, as they did remember him hitting the ground quite hard.

But things only continued to change at Ilvermorny. One morning in Potions, just as Miles and Drew had finally added the perfect measurement of dried bat livers to their sleeping potion, there was a commotion coming from outside the door. Professor Stewart lifted her head from the cauldron of bubbling purple ooze and headed towards the door. The students followed. Out in the corridor, the students and professors watched as a fleet of wizards and witches flew into the courtyard on broomsticks.

Twelve of the wizards and witches landed in the courtyard and formed two lines of six. A luxury car soon flew down into the courtyard. The kids all watched in awe, all the professors rolled their eyes at the spectacle and the Pukwudgies cursed about the damages to the courtyard grass. One of the wizards near the car opened the rear door on the driver's side. A woman with tight blonde curls and large bug eye sunglasses emerged from the car.

She was also wearing a bright red pea coat, black blouse, black pants and tall high heeled shoes. She adjusted the necklace a large twinkling diamonds, each about the size of an American quarter. It finally clicked in Miles mind where he knew the lady from. "That's the lady on the cover of the books in West Mannister Market, she's the president of MACUSA," Miles said as the students all watched the woman wave at them.

"Hello children," Madame Wollerwick said as she waved. She then motioned for one the wizards standing near her car to come closer to her. "Who are those people? The ones surrounding the car?" Miles asked Drew. "Aurors," Drew answered, "There like the FBI of the wizards." The wizard made his way to Madame Wollerwick . "Don't let any of the brown ones touch me..." Wollerwick instructed, "...or the car." The wizard blinked wildly for a moment then slowly nodded.

Professor Exeter walked out to the courtyard to meet Madame Wollerwick. "Madame President," said Professor Exeter taking her hands into his, "It has been so long." He and Wollerwick exchanged air kisses on the cheek. "I know! It seems like we were all just sitting poolside at the club yesterday and here it is almost Halloween," Wollerwick said with her smile slowly turning into a frown, "almost Halloween and Ilvermorny still has not abided with MACUSA sanctions for magical students." Professor Exeter withdrew his hands from Wollerwick. She then marched past him with four of the aurors following her. "Back to class. Back to your studies!" instructed Professor Exeter after a few awkward seconds of him standing in the courtyard.

"Go inside and continue brewing!" said Professor Stewart to her students as she ran off towards the headmaster. Miles quietly followed behind her. "I thought we had more time! What about the students?" Professor Stewart pleaded as she followed behind Professor Exeter as he walked down the corridor. "Ebony, not now!" Professor Exeter shouted back at her. Professor Stewart reached out and grabbed him by the arm.