Chapter 1: Will You Stop Crying and Get It Over With?

My family sat around the dining table, savoring the steak and mashed potatoes Mom had prepared for dinner. Collin, one of my brothers, kept talking about the soccer match on ESPN next Sunday. Cole, who isn't much of a soccer fan, kept insulting the game. Connor, who doesn't really care about what his brothers were saying, kept stuffing his mouth with food. It was the usual family night, except when my father asked me about what happened in the park earlier today. Everyone stopped eating and turned to me. I flushed a bit, not used to the attention.

"Oh, you know, Kate was really thankful I accepted. I already called Ella and Gabriel to ask if they could help me. The pay is really good. She's really generous." I say and picked at my potatoes.

Cole's fork dropped to the table. "Ms. Daniels is a very sweet and kind woman. She doesn't stop until she gets what she wants, though." My father said.

My mother shook her head, "I could not believe you got a real job for her, John."

Dad put his hand over his heart with mock hurt. "Ouch. Why can't you trust me with these kind of things, Caroline?"

I scoffed, "Dad, let's face it. The last time we heard something like this from you, well, let's just say no matter how hard we try, we couldn't forget it."

Collin was the first to recover from the triplets. "Congratulations, little sis! Now Cole is the only one without a job!"

Cole glared at him. "Wow, thank you, Collin. I really feel the love."

I shrugged. "Nah, I'll go back to being jobless after it."

Connor snorts and looks up from his plate. "I bet you'll have someone coming to you from that wedding to hire you after they see the photos."

Cole smirks, "I'll bet there won't."

"Ten on Katherine." Connor declares.

"Deal."

The both of them turns to me and Collin, their eyebrows raised.

"You know me, I don't do bets. Especially when they're about me." I say in a matter-of-fact voice.

Collin, on the other hand, grins at his brothers and shake hands with them."Ten on Katherine."

I roll my eyes and stand up to dump my plate in the dishwasher. "This family has a weird way of showing their love." I mutter as they followed suit. I turn back to them.

"Well, I'll be turning in early. And no playing Metallica, Collin. Wouldn't want to lose your bet, don't cha?" I winked.

Collin saluted. My mom and dad wished me luck and kissed me good night. I got bone crushing hugs from my brothers. I climb up the stairs and head towards my room at the end of the right hall, passing my brothers' rooms. I shut the door and drop on my bean bag. I untie the laces of my sneakers and head to the back of my walk in closet. I grab a pink tulle cocktail dress and hang it on the door for tomorrow. I pack several cameras carefully in my duffle bag and a few battery back ups. I walk back in my closet and looked for some shoes to go with my dress.

See, this was the thing without a sister or a mother who had the present year fashion sense. I can't decide which death trap I should be wearing. No one to do my hair and to cake my face with foundation, though I don't wear any make up as much as possible. I survived twenty-two years of my life in a household with a majority of boys. My mother always took me shopping for me not to turn into a tomboy. Boys are as gross and as clueless.

I decide to just go with an old rose colored wedges. I had to drag Gabriel and Ella, my best friends, to go shopping again sometime this weekend. I brush my teeth in my bathroom and washed my face. I crawl in my bed and tuck my purple comforter under my chin and closed my eyes.