Chapter 2:8 - The Reconciliation

During the other night, Brock and Diane stealthily break into the courtyards of Halford Inc. Security is pretty tight, so they need not to alert the sentries.

"Brock, here's the deal: I will go first and wait for my signal. Please beware of the tripwires scattered here everywhere, okay?" Diane warns Brock.

"Okay, okay Diane; just be very careful out there. You go first and I wait for your signal. Just pop your headphone into your ear, in case of intrusions. Remember: our mission is to retrieve the samples. Please be careful. Good luck", Brock whispers while cocking his gun.

Diane goes out of the van and crawls on the ground. She is wearing her night-vision shades just to visualize anything that she can't see clearly. She slips past the guards; locates any laser-based booby-trap and any other disturbances. There's no other way around because of a sentry guarding in an open, so she swings herself to a pole, up to the rooftop.

She's already on the roof. She signals Brock to come out and he receives it.

Brock stealthily gets out of his car, rolls himself quietly to a corner, and slips past the sentries. He notices a pile of boxes at his front, so he jumps on it and grabs the roof's gutter.

After several minutes, Brock also made it.

They cautiously slip down a gutter hole and through a vent. They crawl and crawl, until they reach the end of the exhaust vent.

They apparently stop to listen at the two men talking:

"You know, I've been wondering why Sir Halford insists himself on proceeding to his contingency plan. What about our families? He knows that they won't survive after the contamination of the Rushford Lake. I don't want them to die because of his stupid water treatment", a henchman says.

"Me either. With this entire so-called impending doom thing, I've been thinking about settling my family here in Halford. Its huge and spacious vicinity will provide us a true shelter. Since we both share our thoughts, we must act now before it's too late. Do you remember what he told us yesterday? He ordered us to dump the last of the samples onto the lake in 48 hours from now. We must alert our families right away", another henchman tells him.

"Come on. I think the others are now proceeding. Let us move."

After that conversation, Brock began to whisper something:

"Richard is truly the meanest man on Rushford. Have you heard what they talked about? They're planning to dump our subjects onto the lake in 48 hours. We must act now before the whole Rushford turns into a cemetery."

"Wait. Haven't you heard? 48 hours. We still got a day to monitor this under surveillance", Diane whispered.

"Are you crazy? Peoples' lives are on stake here. We better move now. We must get the remaining samples right away."

Brock insists himself on breaking into the complex. He removes the ventilation shaft, and slowly hangs into balance. As he drops down on the ground, he begins to check the surveillance cameras all over the facility to locate the main lab. Diane goes after him.

"Come on. Let me see the granddaddy of them all. Aha! I got it. The samples are stacked inside the Main Lab 2. Follow my lead", Brock figures it out, as he tiptoes himself from the door to the hallway. Diane follows him.

Suddenly, they hear footsteps.

"Wait. Someone's coming. Quick! Inside that room!" Diane exclaims.

They barge inside and hide in the closet. As they both cover their mouths, someone comes in the room. He undresses his clothes.

Suddenly, he's about to open the closet, but . . .