Chapter 2:7 - In Arms of a Father

"Pull over right there. That's my place", Diane tells Brock.

"Wow! Would you look at that? What a crib!" Brock exclaims in awe while pulling over.

They stop in front of a mansion. Diane begins to pack up and leaves the car.

"So Brock, see you tomorrow. Don't be late again when I need you", she says.

"How romantic Diane. You know that I'm built for action", Brock says, giggling.

"Funny Brock, get a life now. It's turning late."

"Yeah, yeah. Have a midnight snack and don't stop being beautiful", Brock teasingly says, winking. He drives himself home.

As she opens the gate, someone calls through her headphone:

". . . Montgomery, do you copy? Montgomery, report your status."

". . . Sir Arkline, this is Montgomery. I've dropped by the Halford Inc. to retrieve the samples, but I failed to accomplish my mission", Diane replies.

"Hmm . . . Montgomery, always remember that the samples that have been seized by Halford Inc. are still unstable. It can only mean that it results to combustion of living cells and impairment of brain functions when ingested. The experiments can also result to numerous breakouts in cell division., enabling them to produce additional chromosomes, and even worse, to produce chromosomal mutations on every organs of anatomy, reversing everything that is controlled by the brain", Sir Robert Arkline added.

". . . I hear you Sir. I'll get them as fast as I can."

". . . Montgomery, do this for the safety of Rushford. You know that Richard is our major enemy. He'll do everything to end every existence and it's only up to us who can stop him."

". . . Yes Sir."

Diane passes along the garden and enters the house. She rushes herself upstairs to her room. She puts her handbag on the tapestry and sits down on the bed, looking at her father's picture sticking on the wall.

"Oh Dad, I miss you so much. Please take care of Mom, and promise me that both of you will never be sad anymore. I'm alright, don't worry", she talks to her father's picture and kisses it.

". . . Montgomery, are you still there? Montgomery, pick this up", the same voiceover is heard through her headphone.

". . . Sir, this is still Montgomery."

". . . Have you seen my son at Halford?" he asks anxiously.

". . . Yes Sir. He's currently working with Richard. I suspect that he's the one who seized the samples from our laboratory", Diane replies.

". . . Hmm, Randall. I don't know why he left me and his own brother. He erased us from his memory since five years ago. He used to be a good man, and a good weapon of the police force, but he ended it without a reason. He left his brother and me without explanation."

Diane is just listening to his words. She is also feeling his worry about his sons. Suddenly, a tear rolls down her cheek. She remembers her father and even her mother who also passed away.

". . . Montgomery, thank you for listening. You can now rest for tomorrow", Sir Arkline ends the call.

". . . Yes Sir. You're welcome."

". . . One last thing Montgomery: please spare my son. Leave him out of your mission. Whatever you do, please keep him safe from harm and don't ever leave him by your side. Make sure that he won't be hurt by Richard", he requests.

". . . Don't worry Sir. You won't lose him in your arms", Diane replies, as she tucks herself into bed.

?[QMR)%