Chapter Three | Week One [Edited/Revised]

It's been a week since my encounter with Grey

It's been a week since my encounter with Grey. That's the name I've chosen to call him. And to my own displeasure, I am still thinking about those lips of his. What keeps me up at night is the fact that I am a complete stranger to the man, and he kissed me. He kissed my cheek. The cheek of someone he actually accused of spying on him.

Why? I mean, a man of his stature wouldn't dare kiss a woman who he barely knew, right?

What did I know. Maybe this was a reoccurring thing for him. Kissing strange women. The tabloids label him a bachelor, with a notable passion for women. He is obviously not shy about his intentions, even however vague they were.

One thing is certain. I know I never thought about him in sexual way but damn his lips were soft. Too soft. My body has been disagreeing with my brain on him as a whole topic.

I certainly did not want to be a part of his fan club. I would not end up fawning over a man like he was my next meal. I couldn't let myself fall prey to him. I've been down that road.

"Cora? How are you on your next article?"

My thoughts are interrupted by Malim Norris, my boss. Thank god, I've had the thing written for days, it just needs fine tuning.

"Almost done." I reply.

"Good. Have it on my desk by three." She says and is then whisked away by her assistant.

Oh, the life of editor-in-chief. What it must be like to decide what someone can or cannot write. Malim sits in her chair like it's a throne in a queens court. Notice how I didn't say king? It's because around here Malim is the queen, and if you want to keep your job, no matter how tedious it is, your kept your mouth shut and your lips perched.

I've had to bite my tongue on many occasions, she chastises us like we're her children and not grown adults. I often wonder why I took this job in the first place. Was this the right job for me? I love writing, I love sending the written words out to others in hopes of making a difference in their lives, no matter how small.

I would do whatever it took just to be able to say that I, Cora Elaine Hawthorne made someone's life a bit better, no matter how mundane it was. Even if it's telling them how to remove a wine stain from their furniture, or letting them know it's okay to be afraid of the future.

Because I believe in some small way, everyone is afraid of the future. Maybe that's why Theodore Grey didn't want to answer my question about taking over his fathers position and running Grey Enterprises Holdings LLC, all by himself.

God. There he is. Turning up in my head, yet again.

I needed to do something to rip him from my memory. Anything. He didn't belong there. No man belonged there. Men complicate things. And I don't need complications. Theodore Grey is one huge complication, not to mention a pain in my ass already. And when we've only met once.