Part 12

Gav was listening for any incoming footsteps and Jack was looking out. I had moved some furniture to clear a path to the window and the second floor. We had also blocked the entrance area with some treadmills. Now all we had to do was wait. And wait. And some more waiting. Jack smashed in the cameras, in case they were looking for us through the cameras.

Something crackled, and I first thought it was fire, but then realized it was the intercom turning on.

"We are the Moderatoris . If you are human, please evacuate the mall immediately. If you are parts of the experiments of Project Arma, please surrender yourselves. You have five hours to come to the food court."

The intercom bleeped loudly after they set the phone down. I looked at Jack. He put a finger to his lips, and pointed to his head. I understood.

'What are we going to do now, Jack?'

'Let me think, maybe jumping out the window.'

'You said that was a bad idea.'

'It's the best idea we have right now. If we surrender ourselves, we'll be taken.'

'So, when should we break through the window?'

'One, Two.'

I got up quietly, and put my hand on the window, slightly pushing it out.

'THREE!'

I completely pushed out the window, and jumped out. Jack came after me, and Gav followed. It was a good thing that the gym was on the fourth floor, or else we wouldn't have had enough height to take flight. Jack flew ahead, and I stayed behind with Gavin. Jack was right. Soldiers surrounded the perimeter, with guns. Thankfully it was nighttime, or else we would've become game. (Haha, a pun!) We headed to the trees, and hid in them. Jack messaged me.

'Stay hidden, I need to form a plan.'

'OK, Gav and I are safe."

The soldiers looked intimidating. It was hard to believe that I had been a normal person, only a few days ago. Now I was stuck in this mess between mad scientists. I should be worried about grades, not running away from the "Moderators".

 I should be worried about grades, not running away from the "Moderators"