Chapter 4 - Date

"Does this look okay?" Jack asked Molly when he came out of the bathroom. "I'm so glad my binder arrived last night. I hope it's not a problem for our date tonight." Jack smoothed out his black flannel. This was his first time going out in public without a sweater in a year.

"It looks great! You can't see anything." Molly smiled. She dug into her purse and pulled out a hairbrush. "Your hair is a little messy from the Starbucks hat." She handed him the brush and held up her phone as a mirror. Jack quickly brushed his hair then stood up straight.

"How do I look?" Jack asked with a small smile.

"You look great!" Molly hugged Jack. "Just remember to take off your binder as soon as you get home, and don't wear it for too long. If it get uncomfortable, take if off. Got it?" Molly said seriously. Jack nodded quickly.

"Wait, do I smell like coffee?" Jack quickly smelled his shirt. "Shit, I smell like Starbucks." Jack rolled his eyes.

"It'll be fine. He's the one that wanted to pick you up from work." Molly shrugged.

"Yeah, but-" Jack started, but Mark walked into the shop.

"Hey, are you ready to go?" Mark grinned excitedly. He gave Molly a small wave.

"Yeah! Let me just hang up my apron, be right back." Jack grabbed his green apron off the counter and ran to the back.

"Thanks for asking him out. He's really excited." Molly told Mark as she leaned against the counter.

"I'd hope so. I'm really excited, too." Mark admitted as he scratched the back of his neck. Molly smiled as Jack ran back around the corner.

"Alright, I guess let's go?" Jack wrung his hands together and stood in front of Mark.

"Have fun!" Molly called to the two as they walked out the door.

"So the movie starts at 5:00. Do you want to hang out at my house and then head to the theatre?" Mark asked.

"Yeah! That's totally fine." Jack followed Mark to his car. "I just feel bad because I smell like coffee." He forced a small laugh.

"That's okay, it's your job! My parents won't mind." Mark unlocked the car and sat in the driver's seat.

Jack tensed up. He totally forgot he had to meet Mark's parents. "Heh, yeah... It's not as bad as other days. One time our manager forgot to throw away spoiled milk and she left it uncapped in the fridge. I opened the fridge and it spilled all over me, and I had to smell like that for the rest of the day wearing a sopping wet uniform." Jack giggled, remembering Molly's face when if happened.

"That's sounds awful!" Mark laughed.

"It was when I had just started working there; I had only been making drinks for about a month and Molly was no longer my trainer." Jack looked out the window, watching the city fly by.

"I've heard a lot of Starbucks horror stories. Like the employees that give rude customers decaf when they asked for caffeine." Mark pulled into a really nice neighborhood.

"Oh, the horror!" Jack said sarcastically. "It's even worse for the barista. All those 40-year-old moms that asked for caffeine will walk RIGHT back into the store and give you the 'I need to speak to your manager' talk." Jack giggled. He gawked at all the huge houses, gorgeously designed and obviously incredibly expensive.

"I've heard some sucky things about working at Starbucks." Mark turned onto his street.

"It's hard sometimes, but the free drinks are totally worth it." Jack giggled. Mark pulled in front of a large house made of pristine white bricks. They had a large and beautiful garden full of small, round pebbles, colorful flowers, and neatly trimmed hedges. Two stony paths led from the sidewall and crossed to create one path leading to the front porch decorated with flower pots of of herbs and cushioned, white porch swing. "Dude, your house is huge! Are you rich?" Jack's mouth dropped as he looked at the beautiful home. Suddenly he realized that he sounded inconsiderate, and he opened his mouth to apologize, but Mark interrupted him.