twenty two

NIALL POV:

Sydney sits on a lone bench, brown eyes looking harshly at me. I sit down a distance from her, playing with my thumbs. Andy's petty emotions made me sink.

"Niall, Niall, Niall."

"That's my name."

Silence circles the room.

"I really thought you were one of our best counselors."

"I am, I still am-" I try and protest.

"But, then you try and pull a move on my stepdaughter? Tsk, tsk."

I feel my cheeks heat up. Then I'm reminded of what Andy has told everyone, she barely even knows Sydney.

"I wouldn't ever hurt her."

"Niall. This is summer camp. This is no place for a relationship, honey. Think of the kids. It about the kids. Not your love life."

I nod sheepishly.

"You are here, and you are here for one reason only. That is to take care of this group of kids. That is why, I am assigning you a new co-counselor."

My stomach drops.

"His name is Louis, he was originally one of the soccer coaches, but we needed an extra counselor. He was happy to volunteer - maybe you can learn something from him." Her voice is glazed with disdain.

"I'm not going to be working with Andy anymore?" I speak softly.

"After that little stunt you pulled? No. From now on, you'll be working with Louis."

Silence.

"It wasn't a stunt. It was just a peck." The words escape me and I see Sydney's face tighten.

"Do you want to argue with me, young man? Because I can get you fired from this job in a matter of minutes."

"No."

"No, what?"

"No, ma'am."

"Good," she smiles. "Now, go collect your boys and bring them back to your cabin."

I fight the urge to shoot back at her with some choice words, but I continue out of the building alone.

"Niall, Niall!" She calls after me but I can't face her right now.

"What's the point?" I mumble as I make my way over to the boys. "She was right. The end of the summer meant goodbyes and this would just be a fling." And suddenly, Andy's attitude made sense and I fitting the same one on me.