three

"Oh...hey there." I stammer and sit up, looking out the window. I tug on a piece of my hair, a nervous habit of mine I had always hated.

"Hi, is this your cabin?" He has a thick Irish accent and jarring blue eyes. He wears a tank top that shows off his toned sides.

"Yeah." I nod and curse at myself inwardly. "I'm Andy and I'm a counselor here too."

He grins and scratches his head in an awkward manner. "I'm Niall and a counselor for the cabin thirteen, right next to ya. So I guess we'll be seeing a lot of each other." I nod my head and gulp. Talking to boys was not my strong suit.

"So, I'll see you later then." He waves and walks through the cabin and the adjoining door.

I hit myself in the head. "Really Andy? Really?" I groan, totally embarrassed. I plop my suitcase next to the drawers. A knock sounded from the outside."Yes?" I shout out to the unlocked door.

A little girl walked in, near the age seven. "Hi, I'm Piper. I'm supposed to be in cabin twelve." Her bright red hair fit her name perfectly.

I smile and kneel down. "Well, it looks like you're in the right place! I'm Andy, and I'm gonna be your counselor for the next few weeks. Now, where do you want to sleep?"

Piper bites her lip and looks up at me. "Well, where are you sleeping? I wanna sleep by you."

"Right there," I point to my bed.

"Then I'll stay right above you. Can I tell you a secret?" She mumbles, twirling a strand of her red hair in her small pale hands.

"Of course, Piper. You can tell me anything. I'm here for you and all the girls in the cabin." I smile at her warmly.

She gestures for me to come closer. "I'm afraid of the dark." Piper whispers.

"I'm afraid of it sometimes too. You can come to me if you're ever really scared." I tell her, trying to be friendly.

"No, I only get scared sometimes. I'm a big girl." She says and smiles, showing her missing two front teeth. She was absolutely adorable.

"Do you need help unpacking?" I gesture to her bag full of stuff.

"No, we go play outside until the camp speech and then we come in to get settled in. This is my second summer here and my sister went here too." She waves and runs out of the cabin, joining bunches of giggling children outside.

"No playing favorites." I hear from behind and I immediately stand up. Niall was standing in the doorway of the two conjoined cabins, grinning. His hair stood up on it's own, I was surprised the summer heat didn't melt it to his forehead like mine.

"I wasn't playing favorites. I was making sure she felt safe. They're really young." I defend myself.

Niall walked closer to me. "I'm aware. I've been here for four summers - the kids love me. I'm guessing this is your first year being a counselor?" I nodd sheepishly. "Nothing to be ashamed of. Here, lemme show you around." He tells me before dragging me out the door.

-Mia