twenty one

"You're what?"

"I'm sorry, Andy. You're starting to put your own needs before your campers. I'm protecting them, that's my job."

I stand there, feeling the familiar sting behind my eyes. My eyes stay locked on the ground and I feel Sydney look at me.

"Andy, I really am sorry. I have to split you and Niall up. Don't worry." She sits down next to me, and puts her hand on my shoulder.

"Get your hand off of me!" I think, but dare not say. I was kind of liking the Irish boy now, he was interesting.

"You're going to get a new co-counselor! She's such a dear, her name is Eleanor. Oh goodness, you'll love El! She's very sweet and she's great with the little ones. Don't worry, you'll keep your group of girls."

I nod and feel a tear travel down my freckled cheek. I quickly scoop it up with the corner of my mouth, and clench my fists to keep from sobbing.

"It's for the better, really."

"I got it." My words come out with an edge, sharply. I sense Sydney understand as she removes her hand from my body.

Thank god.

"Niall's outside. Send him in next, please."

Next, please. Like this was freaking DMV.

I get up quickly and brush her off. I open the door to see Niall standing outside, leaning against the building, twiddling his thumbs.

"Niall, your turn." I roll my eyes and strut away in an aggressive way.

His worried eyes dart up to meet me and he immediately grabs my face in his hands.

"What's wrong? Was it bad? Did she hurt you?" He shouts out to me. I offer a light smile at his dramatics.

"I'm fine, Niall." I decided sense Sydney wanted us apart, I was going to be bitter about it. He enters the building, air conditioning rushing out on my body.