two

I was starving to be completely honest. I drove down the dirt road to the site. The pine trees stood tall and it almost looked like a scene from a movie. It was nearly noon so the sun just barely danced above the outline of trees.

Finally reaching my destination, I am greeted by a tall boy. His hair just as curly as mine and his green eyes identical. Although, I was slightly tanner than him and he was much taller. From a distant we could be siblings. I grab my backpack and large matching duffle bag from my trunk before introducing myself.

"Hey, I'm Andy." I grin at him, reaching out my free hand to shake his.

"Harry, nice to meet you." His sweaty palm takes mine. The tall boy, named Harry, wears the camp shirt with the logo pressed on his chest. "I'm here to show you around, your mom should be here later tonight to give a speech to the camp." He explains his deep british accent shows as he talks slowly.

"She's not my mom, simply my dads girlfriend." I groan."She's very nice and all, she's just not my mother."

"Oh, sorry." His cheeks turn to a reddish color as we begin to walk around.

"Down that road is the lake, if you are signed up for lifeguarding, you will have to go there tomorrow for a meeting. To the left is the chow hall or cafeteria. Today they are serving lunch until one thirty, if you're hungry." He chuckles pointing every which way. "And lastly, the cabins are this way, you're in cabin twelve. I'll let you get settled in there. The kids should be here around four in the afternoon. The list of your kids should be posted in the door. Just follow the signs and you should arrive in a few minutes." He grins widely.

"Thank you Harry." I pat him on the back and look down the gravel path. Sighing and wiping the sweat from my forehead.

"I best be going now, I'll see you around I'm sure of it!" He waves before heading back to the main camp, and I begin my hike to the cabin. The cabin is very kept away, deep in the forest. I loved the views, the sun peeking through the tree branches. Reaching my cabin, cabin twelve, I rip off the paper stuck on the door. There was at least seven kids on the list, all girls around the age of seven or eight. I was unsure if I was working with another staff member, but I would be fine either way. After my parents divorce my mother had to get a full time job to support her three kids, meaning I was by my brothers' sides twenty four seven.

I lean on the door, pushing it open, the cooling system kicking in. Four brown bunks lined up in a row. I was lucky to have first dibs. I choose the one farthest to the right, near the window, bottom of course. It would be ridiculous for me, a full grown person, to have the top over a small child. Kicking off my shoes, I fall into the naked mattress and rest, breathing in. I look out the window where I could see just a skip and a hop away another cabin. A blonde boy stood at the door, reading his list of kids, his bags lay at his feet and he turns to me. The boy waves and I do the same, embarrassed I was caught.

-Sadie Rose