Proscribed confrontation

Draco Malfoy came back much later to his dorm room than when he was supposed to. He still had to finish his rounds and took his time while thinking about Hermione's reaction. He knew that she shouldn't care as much as he was but he was incredibly curious and not to mention worried. He was constantly thinking about what cancer was because it didn't matter how hard he tried he just couldn't remember. Maybe he really didn't know what it was and just imagined that he had seen the symbol before.

In the morning while sitting at breakfast he decided that he needed to ask someone, and who better to ask than a certain teacher at that school. Draco scans the group of teachers and when he couldn't find him there he knew that the teacher was already in his respective classroom.

Draco makes a move to get up when Blaise speaks up.

"Mate, where are you going?" He stopped spreading butter on his toast to watch Draco in curiosity. This had gained the attention from other Slytherins in earshot. Draco glances at the others listening nervously, silently cursing Blaise.

"I wanted to get this book out of the library before anyone else does. It was too late yesterday and I forgot." Draco swings his bag over his shoulder and makes another move to leave.

"But it's not open yet." Blaise pointed out. Draco tried not to groan aloud in annoyance.

"But by the time it's open I will be the first person there, therefor the first person to get it." Too much information for a small lie, Draco thought. Before Blaise could ask more questions he quickly sped out of the dining hall. Painfully aware of the many eyes following him. A huge weight was lifted off of his shoulders when he was out of their sight. He hated that, especially now.

It didn't take long for him to reach the classroom. The door was wide open, giving him full view of the colourful and foreign looking classroom. Filled up with posters and other objects he had never seen before. Professor Reynolds, a middle aged man fascinated with the topics of his subject he teaches, was sitting at his desk concentrated on his work. Draco hesitates before clearing his throat, considering on turning back around. At first Professor Reynolds hadn't heard him until he repeated it a bit louder and more demanding. He snaps his head up and looks rather surprised to find the Draco Malfoy standing in his classrooms doorway.

"Draco Malfoy, such a surprise. What can I help you with?" He didn't bother hiding his surprise, knowing the Malfoy boy well and remembering quite specifically his deep dislike for Muggleborns. Draco was aware that this man knew of his former behaviours and squirmed slightly in embarrassment and shame. Professor Reynolds taught a Muggle class, teaching students who had chosen this by their free will about the Muggle world. Very wide ranged from what Draco had heard of so far.

"I am sorry to disturb you." He started trying to mend the mood a little, considering he had also made it quite clear in the past of what he had though of his subject of teaching.

"Not at all, come in." The professor stands from his desk and approaches the boy, while Draco steps in a bit further into the classroom. "What can I help you with?" The professor was incredibly friendly, which made Draco calm down only slightly.

"I-I don't know how to ask this question really." Draco started and paused. "What is Cancer?" He just decided to blurt out his question. Draco's face tenses as he waits for the teachers reaction to the subject at hand.

The professor seemed a bit shocked on the other hand. "What makes you want to ask about this topic?" He was rather concerned that a boy who never once showed any interest in the Muggle activity would come to him with specifically that question.

"Does that matter?" He suddenly became defensive, not sure why himself, but he believed that the teacher shouldn't be going too much into it.

"No, no." The teacher understood the sensitivity. "Cancer is an illness, a disease if you wish. Caused by an invasive growth of a tumor in a specific part of ones body. Can be the skin, lungs, brain, breasts and so on. A condition that spreads quickly and the majority of the ones who do get cancer die from it. But it can be treated, but over a long period of time and it isn't always effective." Professor watches the boy process the information, unable to identify specific emotions.