Warm Sensations

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

It was evident from the beginning of the battle that Link was ten times the knight I will ever be. He's grown so much in such a short time, and his power really radiated from him in battle.

It didn't stop me from being terrified.

"I may not always love you, but as long as there are stars above you-- You'll never need to doubt it. I'll make you so sure about it. God only knows what I'd be without you." My eyes were glued to Link, watching him roll and run and duck to avoid attacks from this large creature. Apparently, it had feet, evident as it pulled itself from the hold in the ground and began to climb the hill to the temple, where I still stood.

My hands clasped tightly together in front of my chest while I sang. The fairies flocked to me, and seeing the ongoing battle, would take turns floating down and casting magic upon Link. "If you should ever leave me, though life would still go on believe me, the world could show nothing to me-- So what good would living do me? God only knows what I'd be without you."

Link jumped forward at the monster's feet, chopping off it's toes one at a time and causing it to back down the hill slowly. I watch as he continues slashing, disabling the monster from using it's feet. When I'm sure this is the end, and when Link is slashing at the beast's head where the sealed spike lies, the monster curls into a tight ball.

And it begins rolling up the hill at an even faster pace.

It nearly crushes Link on the way by. I feel my breath catch in my throat.

"If you should ever leave me, Well, life would still go on believe me. The world could show nothing to me-- So what good would living do me? God only knows what I'd be without you"

Link takes a few slashes at the head of the monster while it rolls, causing it to topple back down the hill. Link lets out a large cry, diving towards the sealing spike and delivering a final blow. The monster shrieks, but vanishes in a large cloud of black smoke. The sealing spike remains. Link raises his sword to the sky, catching the goddess' light in it, and slashes towards the stone.

"God only knows what I'd be without you..." I feel my chest tighten, and hold out my hand. The crystallized heart in my hand spins slightly in my possession. I lift it to the sky gently, and it floats down to rest at the bottom of the pit with Link.

... I've never actually seen what he does with the pieces.

"That's what a true hero does, Groose. They sacrifice."

The old woman's voice snaps my attention to her. By her side, a wide eyed, terrified, Groose stands.

"Even if it kills them."

"Enough." I pull my gaze away from her and watch as Link approaches the piece of heart awaiting him. He lifts it, rather delicately, and holds it to his chest.

And I feel it.

He's surrounded by light magic, and the piece falls into place in his chest. It makes a warm sensation crash through my body.

Our hearts were merging, piece by piece.

"You're going to die for him?" Groose asks quietly. I hadn't heard him step closer.

"I'm going to die for them." I finally pull my eyes from Link and look over at my taller counterpart. His golden eyes glanced to Link and then back to me.

"Why?"

I take a deep breath, knowing every answer I could give would be far too complex for him to understand in this moment. What could I say?