When The Storm Passes

~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Our trip into the gate of time was short lived, and heart breaking.

Part of me wishes I never set foot in there.

Part of me is glad I did.

I thought I had said my goodbyes already, but not truly, I suppose. I wasn't ready to see Zelda glowing in the dim sunlight that danced around the temple, but after such a sight, I was more than ready to die.

She was so beautiful.

And yet she looked so sad.

"Look at how far you've come." She started, not ready to take a step towards us. "Traveled across entire worlds, and now through time... for me."

There was that guilty look in her eye. She's been thinking too much again... maybe we all have.

"I wouldn't dare go home without you." Link responds, earning a sad chuckle from Zelda. She raises her attention to the lone window in the temple, where the light is cascading in.

"You know, Link... I can see why Hylia chose you to be the hero. Sure, this trip gave you power, and wisdom, and courage... everything you need to be able to wield the triforce and defeat Demise once and for all." Her eyes flick over to his, softening from their guilty daze. "But you've always been entirely pure of heart. Always had the best intentions in mind... You've pretty much always been a hero."

She takes a deep breath.

"Which is why I know you're ready for this." Zelda approaches Link, holding out a hand. Link doesn't waiver, resting his palm in hers and kneeling to the ground. "When this blessing is done, Link, you'll be ready to wield the triforce. You will be able to defeat Demise, and I know that you will. I believe in you." Zelda's eyes glance up to mine. "I think once you have that triforce, nothing else will be necessary."

That was an obvious warning to me.

She should know I've already made my choice.

"Which is why... I have one more favor to ask of you, Link." As Link stands, Zelda turns her entire body to me. She looks like she's suffering.

Perhaps she reflects my visage.

"Don't let Oriana near your final battle."

.

.

.

what.

"Are you... worried about her?" Link raises an eyebrow, and Zelda approaches me swiftly.

"Maybe you don't see it, Link. Maybe she puts on a show for you-- But it's quite obvious to me..."

Don't.

"She is dying, Link." She turns on her heel and her body loses its grace for just a single moment of despair. "How do you not see that your best friend is dying?"

"You're all incredible fools." A voice from the back of the temple shakes us from the moment. Impa stands, arms crossed, and foot tapping impatiently. "Do you not value everything you all have done for each other? Do you not value how much you care for one another? For days all you have done is agonize, and yet never once have any of you truly appreciated any others." Impa brings a hand to her temple in annoyance. "The Fairy Queen did not erase herself from history for nothing. She didn't dry up her fountains and eliminate her shrines to have her wishes betrayed on the dawn of the final day."

"I can't just let her do this, Impa." Zelda stomps a foot down at the older woman, who gives her a firm glare in response.

"No, because you're too busy thinking only of yourself."