Feel My Love

~-~-~-~-~-~

The oatmeal cookies the school made were something special-- not because of any magical recipe, or because they were made with love-- but because the inside was filled with the sweetest raspberry ram you could possibly imagine. It was comforting, like a surprise that brings relief to your heart.

It's a shame none of the other students will get to have any.

"I don't think it was necessary to take them all, you know." I joke, and Link gives a shrug before taking another bite of cookie.

"I'm saving the world-- I think I earned them."

"Oooh! Listen to that ego!" I tease, nudging his arm. "Don't let it all go to your head, Link. I'm not sure much more hot air will fit up there."

He rolls his eyes and gives me a deadpan stare. I let out a small laugh before indulging in another cookie myself.

"Well, I get another one for helping, then."

"I suppose I can let her magesty have another. Just one, though. These are my royal treasures." Link lays down onto the tile of the roof and finishes off his cookie right before tucking his hands behind his head. "The stars are pretty bright tonight."

"It's like they knew you were coming home to me-- we needed another night like this." I bring my knees up to my chest, placing my half eaten cookie back on the handkerchief with the others.

"This is really nice... I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting that you'd be this eager to see me after..." He trails off, but I can tell he's referring to his drunken state last week.

"Is it... normal for you to drink that much?" I move the handkerchief to the side and lay down beside him.

"No! No, of course not. I just... I don't know, I thought it could make me brave, or something." Link scoffs and then raises his hands up to his face, letting out a groan into his gloves.

"Yes, because the guy who fights monsters for a living isn't brave enough already." I tease.

"Not when it comes to you," He sits up, glancing over at my shocked face before turning up to the sky with the same look on his face that he had last week. "Never when it comes to you."

Maybe I have been oblivious all along...

Maybe Karane was right.

Maybe I needed this, right now.

"Hey," I hold out a closed fist to Link. "Would you mind holding this for a minute?" I ask, and Link hesitantly holds out an open hand. I give a small smile as I place my empty hand in his, intertwining our fingers. "Thanks."

As I lay back on the roof, my hand wrapped tightly in his, I can see the confused look on his face. I give him my best smile, and he practically flops down beside me.

There's a peaceful silence between us for a few minutes, and I can feel his thumb sliding nervously over my knuckle. The soothing back and forth motion nearly puts me to sleep.

"Oria-- I'm sorry-- It's just... If you're doing this for my sake, please don't. I know I keep saying all these weird things to gauge how you feel, but I don't need you to respond right awa--"

"When the rain is blowin' in your face, and the whole world is on your case: I could offer you a warm embrace to make you feel my love." He sits up again, the same defeated puppy look in his eyes as I sit up and face him, releasing his hand from mine. I let some fairies summon around me, lighting up the area with their different colors. They hum lightly along with my song, a tune familiar throughout time. " When the evening shadows and the stars appear, and there is no one there to dry your tears: I could hold you for a million years to make you feel my love."