Every Lifetime

~-~-~-~-~-~

"You're fucking kidding me, right?"

"I assure you, I do not have the emotional capacity to 'kid'."

I stare, stunned, at the floating woman I have come to know as Fi. She may be Link's guide in all of this, but I'm not sure she quite knows what's best for him.

"You're going to have us sit here, unprotected, while our minds enter a completely different realm to collect the goddess tears? This is psychotic."

"Master Link will not be unprotected, The Great Fairy shall protect him from harm." She answers, matter-of-factly.

"I've never fought anything outside of knight academy dummies and dummies who go to the knight academy! What do you suppose I do about actual monsters?!"

"You can leave that to your kin, Oria." Navi speaks up from beside me. "It's best you don't remember just what we're capable of."

"I thought fairies were meant for healing?"

"Poor innocent Oriana," Navi gives me a smirk that sends a chill down my spine. "Fairies are for whatever you need them to be." She says, as if it's nothing. As if there's nothing wicked or devious about anything she just said. "It'd be wise to remember that, Hero of Time."

Hey. Don't drag him into our scandalous nature, thanks.

"Dutifully noted," He chuckles, and my head snaps to him in shock. He gives me a small wink before taking a seat in the center of the Spirit Realm mark. "What I need right now is a bodyguard, can I have you be that for me?" Link gives me a teasing smirk and I revel in the way he makes my heart skip-- something I hadn't felt in his time away from me yesterday.

"Keep my eyes on your body? How is that any different from normal?" I throw back at him, causing him to shake his head with a smile.

"I trust you," He says, a bit more serious, before the mark on the ground glows and I lose him to the Silent Realm.

"Can he hear me in there?" I ask Fi, who shakes her head.

"All sensory he has is in the Silent Realm." She answers.

"So, completely hypothetically, I could tie his boot laces together, and he'd be none the wiser?"

"Hypothetically, yes, he would not notice your contact with him."

Damn, this guardian was dry. Can't take a joke, or maybe just can't understand them.

"Heads up, there's some goblins sniffing us out." Navi directs me to the entrance of the clearing, where a team of goblins stand scanning the area. "I recommend summoning your people, Oriana."

My wings spread open effortlessly, my mana dispersing out of me to summon an army of fairies. Alone, they seemed fairly harmless--

"These goblins threaten our queen," Navi calls out.

But an entire army? Angry?

"Give them no mercy."

They morphed, changed, distorted-- They looked like things from nightmares. Now this was a species I was proud to lead. Sharp teeth, even sharper screams.

Those goblins didn't stand a fighting chance.

Not hard to believe this is the species that helps rip my beating heart out my chest.

"The threat has been vanquished, your magesty."

"Please stay to protect the area until the hero has awakened again," I request, and the fairies remain in the area, on guard.

"He looks so much younger this time around," Navi admits quietly, inspecting Link. "The last time you were all much older."

"We're all only 17," I remind Navi. She lets out a small sigh.

"I'm just sorry that this is what this life has amounted to for you. I wonder, if when it's all over, you'll remember you past incarnations..." Navi seems to mutter that last part, but I still catch it.

"There were others?" I ask, and she gives a nod.

"Well, of course, yes. But, without Demise rising again, your true self never awakened inside of you. You just lived normal lives," She rests her body onto my shoulder. "I hope those memories come back to you and give you peace some day."

I look down at Link, who, despite having his eyes closed, looks as focused as ever. Perhaps I'm not used to seeing him look serious about anything.

"How many lifetimes do you think I love him?" I inquire, mostly to myself.

"All of them," Navi answers. "Even the ones without destiny weaving itself in. Perhaps there's even a life where you wound up together."

The thought brings a smile to my face as I reach out and gently brush some of Link's hair away from his eyes. "I hope that's the very last thing I see, Navi. Truly."

"I have no doubt there were also ones where you courted Hylia." I look back at Navi, who gives me a reassuring smile.

"And this will be the one where they wind up together. No more repeats. Just their happy ending." I take a deep breath, looking over at my blond companion again.

Sometimes, I wonder if he knows how flawless he is.

"Fitting, for the final one." Navi remarks.

This hurts me, something I didn't expect. I feel the sadness on my face as I reach up again to caress his cheek.

"I hope you'll be happy," My mind wanders back to what Zelda had said to me the night before about it being her only wish in life. She was right, we did feel the same. All I could ever ask for is their sustained happiness. If I could stopped a moment, relive one thing before disappearing forever-- it'd be our days after class when were were all just still starting out at the knight academy. Laying in flower patches beside the goddess statue, not a care in the world.

I want that to be them when I'm gone.

That's my wish.

"Forget about me, if it's easier... Just be happy." I let out a small sigh before placing my hands around his still shoulders. Just as I close my eyes, enjoying this moment of peace, i feel him stir in my arms, before his arms wrap around me altogether.

"What a nice thing to wake up to," Link remarks, making sure to squish me in his arms tightly for good measure. "Taking a nap, are we?"

"Told you I'd guard your body good," I joke.

"I meant make sure I didn't get hurt, not become my armor."

"Can't I do both?"

He laughs again, letting me remain in his arms. I felt like me again, when we touched. Like all of my heart was still beating in my chest. Like this was my biggest consequence of falling in love with him-- More alive than I've ever felt when we touch,

But barely breathing when we're apart.

I couldn't help it, not even for a moment.

"Do you want to go back to the safer skies?" His voice disrupts my thoughts. "I need to get some more supplies-- and dinner."

"That sounds wonderful," I whisper, pulling away from his arms despite my entire being begging me not to.

"I think I still owe you for stealing you the day of the Wing Ceremony... Want to stop by the Lumpy Pumpkin?" Link holds out his hand after he stands, allowing me to grab on and get assistance in standing.

Those were magic words.

~-~-~-~-~-~