Chapter Thirteen

*Christen's POV*

I woke up in clean sheets and the sound of a monitor beeping. What happened? Where am I?

"Ah, Ms. Press, you're back" I heard a man's voice say.

"Where am I?" I asked, looking at my surroundings, confused. "Where's Tobin?"

"She's in surgery right now" the doctor informed me. "She'll be out in about an hour. What's important is that you rest up. You were in a bad car crash but fortunately, not much damage was done to the passenger side but you broke three ribs and you have a major concussion"

"What do you mean fortunately?!" I demanded angrily. "None of this is fortunate there's nothing about this that is fortunate!" I cried bitterly.

"Okay ma'am I'm gonna give you some time alone. Some of your teammates are outside, do you want to see them?"

"No" I responded, anger boiling in my veins.

"Press the button on your left if you need a nurse" he said, dismissing himself.

How could this happen? Everything was going so well. I felt an ache in my stomach followed by the pounding in my head. I laid back in the bed and I looked around me, getting familiar with the room. There were a bunch of monitors around me and mainly behind me. An IV ran through my veins providing me with antibiotics, painkillers, nutrients, the whole deal.

I watched the tv play a boring sitcom and I fiddled with my phone. I checked all the notifications on it and stumbled on a hashtag on twitter from the news on the car crash. #prayforchristen and #prayfortobin. I decided to speak on it so I quickly composed a tweet.

"Blessed to tell you that I am alright. Broke a few ribs and I have a concussion. Thank you for the get well wishes" I sent the tweet out and immediately typed up another. "My teammate Tobin may be in more need of your prayers than me. #prayfortobin" and I sent it. I wasn't even aware of what was happening to her cause the doctor didn't tell me.

The curtains were suddenly drawn open and I saw a female doctor come to me with a clipboard and some papers in a folder.

"Hi, I'm Dr. Robbins. I'm your orthopedist, and I'm here to show you the x rays from your ribs, you were still unconscious when we took them, so you might not remember" the female introduced while showing me a series of pictures.

"That's cool but can you update me on Tobin? The girl who was driving" I asked, impatiently.

"She'll be coming out of surgery in a few minutes actually. She needed brain surgery" the doctor said.

A rush of coldness ran through my entire body.

"Brain surgery?" I sputtered. "Brain surgery? Why?"

"Her head went directly through the side of the window. She has many brain bleeds and the surgeons in there are trying to reduce swelling" the doctor explained.

"What do you mean trying?" I asked frantically, imagining the helpless girl laying on an operating table with her head open.

"The brain is a compact area, swelling is hard to control" the doctor informed.

My heart rate started to increase as I slowly started to have a panic attack.

"Hey, listen to me, that surgeon in there? He's the best in the United States of America. He's worked in neuro for so long that I can basically guarantee she'll be okay" Dr. Robbins told me.

"Will she remember me?" I asked, my voice shaky.

"That I can't guarantee, everyone's minds are different"

I couldn't believe that I was even having this conversation right now. Suddenly I heard her pager beep and she quickly dismissed herself, leaving me in another pit of worry.

*Tobin's POV*

I woke up in a hospital room and felt sore all around. I tried to get up but a nurse quickly held my shoulder down.

"Hi, Miss Heath, good to see that you're back. You needed surgery from a bad car crash, that's what's making your head hurt. The doctor went into your head and was able to stop the swelling, leaving you with about 90% of your memories. Through therapy, we can gain those memories back. You also broke your leg in two places but the orthopedist took care of that. Your doctor will be in shortly to see you" she said, leaving me confused.

"Wait so what happened?" I asked, needing more clarification. "I'm a soccer player, I need my leg to be okay. Will it be okay?"

"I'm afraid I can't answer that question" she said, leaving me in a state of fear. "However, the girl you were in the car with has been asking about you non stop. Would you like me to room you together? We have a couple doubles left" she asked reassuringly.

"What girl?" I asked, not knowing who she was talking about.

The nurse shuffled through some papers and pulled one out.

"Christen Press? That name sound familiar?" She asked, leaving me even more confused.

"Who's that?" I asked, "and why does she want to know how I'm doing?"

"She was with you in the car. She tells me that you guys have been friends for a while" the nurse continued. "Do you want to see her? Maybe it might help you recall?"

I nodded quickly, my curiosity boiling.

"I'll be right back" the nurse said, leaving my room.

Who was Christen Press? Why was she with me in the car? Where were we going? What were we doing? How did the car crash? Was she hurt? How does she remember me? How do I know her? All these questions flooded my head as I watched the news on a small television. About 10 minutes later the nurse walked in and told me that she had transported "Christen" to the double room.

"I'll take you down there" she told me, gathering my papers and medicine. She unplugged me from some machines and told me she would replug me in the room.

"Okay. Let's go see who Christen is" I said, being wheeled out of the room.

———

Authors Note: sorry :(