Chapter Fourteen

Deaton sweeped the stuff off his examination table as we laid young Derek onto it.

We hadn't wasted any time after Scott and Braedon had emerged from the church with the startling young Derek in their arms. He was extremely weak so we stuffed him into the backseat of the jeep and hightailed it back to Beacon Hills.

Deaton was expecting us, as Scott had called while we were on the road but he couldn't maske the suprise on his face at Derek's young features.

"Wow." He breathed.

"Wow? Wow as in I've seen this before and I know exactly what to do? Because that's the one I'm hoping for." Stiles spoke up.

"I think you might be overestimating my ability." Deaton replied almost nervously.

My hand brushed Derek's and I recoiled. He was icy cold, colder than me and that was saying something.

"He's cold. Really cold." I stated and Deaton picked up his other hand.

"Do you think this is permernant?" Scott asked, worry coating his voice.

Deaton shone a light into Derek's unconcious eyes.

"I'm not sure a medical diagnosis is even adequete. This is well beyond my experience." Deaton replied.

"So what do we do with him?" Stiles asked.

"Probably not much. It might be best for you to leave him with me." Deaton suggested.

"He'll be safe here." He finished.

"You mean from Kate?" Stiles asked.

"If she's alive like you say she is, she won't be able to walk past that gate." Deaton reminded us.

"Why would she want to do this to him?" Lydia spoke up.

"Probably for reason that will only be good for her." Deaton stated.

"And bad for everyone else." Stiles finished the sentence.

At this point I was having trouble keeping my eyes open, and I noticed that everyone was in the same boat.

"Hey, you guys should probably head home. He's not in any danger here, so maybe the rest of you should get some sleep." He looked pointedly at me.

"It is a school night. You all need to start taking care of your own lives again." Deaton's eyes were on Stiles now.

"Someone should stay with you." Scott urged.

"Me. I'll stay." I piped up. Scott raised an eyebrow.

"I can delay my first day another 24 hours." I said. I had gone in for orientation before the Summer but I officially strated tomorrow.

"I am so not okay with that." Stiles stated and I rolled my eyes at him.

"You can't ditch your first day." Scott said responsibly.

"Go." I urged.

"Nope." Stiles put his foot down.

"Why don't I stay. I have perfect grades." Lydia suggested.

Stiles started me down.

"Fine." I mumbled.

Lydia reached across Derek and squeezed my hand.

Scott was already heading out the door when I turned around and I let Stiles lead me out, his warm hand burning into the small of my back.

We all piled into Stiles' jeep, Scott riding shotgun, me curling up on the back seat.