CHAPTER THIRTYONE 21ST CENTURY BREAKDOWN

It was the night before we were leaving and we were staying in one of those hotels where there are small cabins scattered around a small area in the woods.

I began to think something was wrong when Brendon stopped talking. He was just lying in bed, slowly blinking every few seconds or so. Although it was 9pm, this was unusual for him. He's usually hyper, practically bouncing on the walls.

"B?" I asked.

He hummed shortly in response.

"What's wrong?" I asked, crawling so I was kind of on his chest.

"I'm fine."

"No, you're not."

"Just leave me alone!" He suddenly said, getting up from the bed and leaving the room, his sweater twisted around his torso.

I sighed and decided it may be best to let him cool off for a few minutes, even though it was bothering me.

Why did he get so mad so quickly?

I got up and slowly walked to the bench outside, and he was facing away from the cabin. He had a cigarette between his index an middle finger, taking a drag every so often.

"When I was first in your class when I was 16, I made a big speech and you promised to quit."

He turned around quickly to face me, flicking the cigarette to the ground.

"I did."

"Doesn't seem like it."

"I quit for you, but I just needed a smoke."

I didn't answer but sat next to him.

"Please tell me what's wrong. It's our last night and then we have to go back."

He sighed and got up.

"You don't have to know all of my business."

I got up after him and followed him to the cabin.

"I do if it means I can make you happy again!" I said.

"Well you can't this time! You can't cure bipolar! So stop trying!"

He threw a lamp at the wall.

"Bren you took your pills I saw you an hour ago, you only have to take them when you feel--"

"I know what my own fucking pills do, Scarlet!" He yelled.

"This isn't your bipolar..." I said.

"You what?!"

"This isn't you, Brendon!"

"Oh, go fuck yourself you bitch!" He shouted.

"Well anything away from you is fine by me!" I shouted back.

"Good luck finding a ride home, dickhead."

"What? You can't just leave me here, hundreds of miles away from Nevada!"

"WATCH ME, WHORE!" He shouted.

He shouted louder than I've ever heard in my life, and it terrified me. He never raised his voice at me too loud.

He walked out the door and took his jacket, opening the car door and slamming it once he was inside.

"You're seriously going to leave me here?!" I screamed.

He flipped me off behind the window and reversed to get out of the drive. I watched as his car disappeared behind clusters of trees, before falling to the ground and crying.

Of all the places to have an argument, this is where it had to be?

I walked to the cabin slowly and collapsed on the bed immediately, clutching the comforter to my chest.