Chapter 3

It's been over a week since I saw Ian in real life, I mean Riley has made me watch the series he's in so that when I do see him I'll know what he does for a living.

I was at work at the vet's. My job was being a vet assistant, I was going to continue to study to be an actual vet but then I had the job to raise Riley and I didn't have time for anything else. I actually didn't even need to work since I was dead rich because of the heritance my parents left me. Their house in New Orleans, a piece of land, and millions of dollars in the bank. I refuse to touch any of it except if it's for Riley, I just keep thinking that one day they'll come back.

"Okay, the doctor is ready to see Lynx..." I was reading my clipboard in the waiting room and when I look up I almost fainted.

It was Ian! And some other girl with olive colored skin and brown hair and eyes. She had a tabby cat on her lap which she stroked gently.

Ian looked just as surprised as I was.

"What are you doing here?" I whispered harshly. I didn't know why I was so harsh.

"I could ask you the same thing." Ian says recovering quickly from his shock and began to smirk.

"I work here!" I say in exsasperation.

The girl was suddenly behind Ian and looked at me with raised brows. I stared at her for a moment and that's when it hit me. She was that annoying actress from the show Riley made me watch. She's supposed to be amazing because she played like five different characters.

"Is the vet ready to see my cat?" She asked and I nodded and led the way for both of them.

I took them to the examining room and told them to wait until the vet came. I walked out of the room and turned around to see Ian had followed me.

"May I help you?" I ask with a raised eyebrow.

"Yes, I haven't heard from you for over a week. I've been worried the whole time thinking that you and Riley might've been murdered by that psycho." Ian says solemnly and I felt myself cool down.

This guy barely knows me and he's worried about me? And Riley?

I lean against the hallway wall and sighed.

"I'm sorry. I'm fine and so is Riley," I say and Ian comes to lean next to me against the wall.

My heart then began to beat so fast I thought I was having a heart attack, it had to be impossible so I tried to ignore it.

"How's your head?" Ian asks I look at him and regret it. He was so close that I could see every shade of blue in his eyes and it turn my stomach into knots.

"It's almost healed. The concussion is gone." I say shortly as to hide the strain in my voice.

"Have you heard from you know who?" Ian asks and I could hear a hint of hate in his voice

"Who Josh? Well, yeah, he came the next day to my apartment to see if everything was fine. I told him I never called the cops on him so he agreed to not call the cops on you... Like I said he doesn't like to owe people things." I say and shrug indifferently.

Ian nodded and we stood together in silence for a while until Ian's friend came out with her cat.

"How is he?" Ian asked and patted the cat's head.

"Lynx's only got a cold, he'll be fine in a few days." the girl says and notices me behind Ian.

"Hello, what's your name? You look very familiar..." the girl asks and looks at me in confusion.

"Oh, I'm Sage, you're Elena right? You must be confusing me with my sister, Riley." I reply and she laughs and Ian chuckles.

"My name is Nina, I only act as Elena. And you're the girl Ian's been talking about the whole week?" Nina says and I felt my eyes go wide and Ian looked awkward.

"Well, look at the time! We better get going before Julie kills us... Nice seeing you, Sage, tell Riley I miss her!" Ian says loudly over his shoulder as he pulled Nina out the front door.

I stood there frozen for a while and went into a giggle fit as I remembered the look of shock on Ian's face.

***

I got home from work at 4pm and wasn't surprised to see Riley in the living room crying in front of the tv.

"Please tell me you're not watching Harry Potter again--" I stopped when I saw someone else sitting next to Riley.

She looked the same age and size as Riley, with chocolate brown hair in a ponytail, blueberry colored eyes and cream skin.

"Who's this?" I ask and the girl stands up and extends her hand and I shake it.

"I'm Alexandria but call me Alex, Lexi, Ally, Andria, or Alexa! I'm Riley's friend from school!" She spoke so fast and her voice was so high I only got Lexi.

"Sageline but call me Sage." I simply say and she grinned.

"You girls want cookies?" I say as I walk into the small kitchen.

"We're teens, Sage, not five." Riley says as she grabs some chips from the cabinet with Lexi skipping behind her.

I got out pots and pans to cook dinner until I heard Riley ordering pizza on the phone.

"What are you doing?" I say madly as I snatched the phone out of her hand.

"Hey! I was ordering dinner!" Riley whines.

"I'm going to cook dinner." I say as I look in the fridge.

"More like a potion to burn the apartment down." I heard Riley mutter from behind me.

I rolled my eyes, yes, I didn't know how to cook but I won't learn if I don't try.

"I saw Ian at work today, he says he misses you."

"Really? I miss him, too." Riley says.

I heard the front door open and the voice of my best friend sing through the apartment.

"I bought dinner!" She yelled as she entered the kitchen with a big plate of food.

Riley ran to her, kneeled and hugged her legs. "THANK YOU, ARIELLE! You saved me from food poisining and becoming a pizza with your delicious food!"

"Get a grip, Riley." I say as I put the pans away in defeat.

My best friend Arielle, has her own catering business I met her at college and we were like peanut butter and jam. She was named Arielle for her bright red natural hair.

"Lasagna for everyone... Hey, Sage, there was a letter in your mailbox." Arielle gave me the letter.

It had no return adress and that was strange. So I went to my room to read it.

What was written on it, shocked me.