Chapter 19

#891 on Teen Fiction! We're going up you guys, Yay!

5+ votes for next chapter!

***

I was an emotional train wreck. I spent each day and night at the hospital with Riley, just staring at her sleeping body. When Ian came out of work and saw me staring into nothingness at the hospital, he'd take me home and I'd put up a fight I always lost.

Each day Riley had less tubes until she only had her IV and a tube that helped her breath but she still wouldn't wake up. Doctors say it takes weeks, months, or even years if she ever wakes up.

I was sitting on the armchair at home like I do every morning before going to the hospital just feeling numb.

Ian was in the kitchen with Arielle, Colton, and Joseph. They were talking about me.

"Then I say to Julie, 'Of course I'm acting like crap! Me and my fiancè are in depression even the dog is and I'm barely getting any sleep'... She's barely eating and all she does is stare at nothing." Ian says in frustration. Poor Ian wasn't doing well at work. The producer, Julie Plec, laid him off for a while.

"If she's not eating that's bad for the baby." Joseph mutters.

"You think I don't know that?" Ian says in anger. Stress and sleepless nights were catching up to him.

"You know what?" Arielle says and I hear her stomping towards me. She stops and kneels in front of me and gives me a look of authority.

"Wake up, Sage!" She says sternly. "I know you're in a bad place but your not the only one, okay? We all are and your not helping anybody by locking yourself up on the contrary it's getting worse.

"You do not have one daughter you have two. Not taking care of yourself is like abandoning your baby... Riley wouldn't like that you think? Look at Ian! He's a total mess and he's going to be fired if you don't get a grip on reality!"

Something clicked inside me and I looked at Arielle straight in the eye.

"You're right," I say and get up. "If I want to start a future... I have to get rid of the past."

***

We traveled to New Orleans because I decided to sell my parent's mansion. Arielle and Colton came to help while Joseph stayed in Atlanta for Riley.

It was Ian's birthday and we were at Starbucks that morning. Arielle and Colton were getting rid of stuff and cleaning at the mansion to put it up for sale.

"Your due in two weeks, right?" Ian asks with a smile and I nod.

"I know this isn't the best birthday--" I start to say.

"It's perfect. All I want is to be with you." Ian says and kisses me.

Ian had to be somewhere so he dropped me off at the mansion where I began to help Arielle and Colton.

I receive a text from Ian two hours later, telling me to go to an address that he found. It was supposedly the house where my real parents died in a fire.

"Arielle, I'm going to this place Ian found. It's was my real parents house." I tell her.

"Okay, I'll be here." Arielle says and I left.

I found the place and was surprised to see that it was on a bayou. The small house's wood was black from being burned but still intact.

I walk up to it and entered the doorless entry, "Ian?" I call out.

"Hello, Sage." a menacing voice says behind me

I gasp and turn around.

It was Josh... And he held a curved knife like the one who killed my parents.