Chapter 20 [Ian/Sage POV]

Thanks for the votes!

5+ votes for next chapter

***

(Ian's POV)

I dropped off Sage at the mansion and went to AT&T to buy a new phone. I had somehow lost mine at the airport.

I got back three hours later and Arielle gave me a confused look.

"Where's Sage?" She asked and I lifted my eyebrow.

"Isn't she here?" I say.

"No, she left two and a half hours ago. You texted her an address that was supposedly her real parent's place?" Arielle says and I looked at her incredulously.

"I lost my phone at the airport, Arielle, I was at AT&T buying a new one just now!" I say and show her the new phone's box.

"Oh, no," Arielle's face was full of dread. "Go find her, Ian, there's a serial killer on the loose."

I nod, "Call the cops if I'm not back in two hours."

***

(Sage's POV)

"What are you doing here, Josh? Where's Ian?" I say nervously.

"Oh, he's fine, I just stole his phone."

For every step he took towards me, I stepped back.

"Don't you remember me, Sage? Or should I say Emerald? That's your real name and this was our house," Josh outstretches his arm and I ran out of room to step back. "I'm Aiden your stepbrother. You came here with your mother when you were only eight and I fell in love with you."

I stare at Josh. He had very light blonde hair and amazing hazel eyes. He was tall and built like a rhino. When we first met in college he was sweet and unhurtful but now... He looked like a monster.

He was inching closer to me and I looked sideways. There was a rusty old backdoor that led outside. I slipped my flats off without Josh noticing and started towards it.

I ran threw the door and into the swampy forest with Josh at my heels. I wasn't a fast runner and my pregnancy didn't help but I'm an excellent climber.

Riley used to call me Rue or gecko because I could climb almost anything. I climbed up the first climbable tree I saw.

"Where are you going, Emerald?" Josh snarls and manages to grab my leg.

"It's Sage not Emerald!" I screech. I was wearing jeggings and Josh's grip slipped and I kicked his face.

He let go instantly and groaned. I had broken his nose and it was now bleeding.

"You always were a feisty little thing, Emmi." Josh cleans his nose with the back of his hand.

I stared down at him, I was probably twenty feet high. I was short of breath and all my body was beginning to hurt and a groan slipped out from my lips.

"Sage?" Josh says and I look down, he had thrown the knife into the swamp and now looked at me with deceiving yet concerned eyes.

"I'll call you Sage if you call me Aiden, okay? I just want to talk please don't hurt yourself!" He held up his hands in surrender. "Please, come down."

I considered it for a moment. If I come down he might kill me, if not he'll find a way to get me and kill me.

"Okay, Aiden," I say and he smiles up at me like when were together. "But don't touch me."

I came down the tree slowly but I easily lose my grip and strong hands caught me.

"You okay?" Aiden sets me down and flinch away from his touch.