Chapter 7: Fire And Ashes

Jess' Point Of View

  We woke up early and decided to go see if there are any threats. We all grabbed the weapons we brought. Yes, weapons. 

  "Hey, Mika," I said as we climbed down the ladder, "Aren't you a little afraid  to go into the forest and leave this place abandoned, with all of our stuff?"

  She shrugged and said, "I've had this place since I was nine! It'll be okay for another hour, Jess!"

  I smiled and shook my head, knowing she was probably right. We reached the ground with everyone else. The "Gang" as Will calls it. Maybe it's an Ireland thing, but I don't really know. Speaking of Ireland! I never asked Will about that. "Hey, Will," I said, "If you're Irish, wich obviously you are, why are you in The US?" We stopped and looked at him, waiting for and answer. "Well," He said, "You're right, I'm Irish. I shouldn't bother keeping secrets from you guys... but... I've never told anyone. I just... I don't know..." Mika smiled and said, "WILLIAM SEAN MCLOUGHLIN! TELL THEM! OR I SWEAR-"

  "Wait," Will stopped her, "What do you mean 'Them'? I haven't told you either," He lifted her up and pushed her into a tree, "What did you do, Mika?"

  "It's kind of obvious! You told me that you're a foreign exchange student. Well, our shitty school doesn't do that. AND you ride my bus and get off before me, but you don't get off at a house. You get off at a corner. Then, you walk. I've also seen the building you go into and I've seen who comes out. It's not parents, but kids. They look about six or seven. And I've seen you guys outside playing soccer, or football where you used to live. Now, they're not your siblings. They just live in the same home as you. Because you're all or-" Will dropped her and put his hand over her mouth to stop her. Will was crying and nodded his head and Mika hugged him. 

Will's Point Of View

  Mika whispered in my ear, "If you don't mind me asking... Why? Why would your parents do this?"

  I whispered back, "I'll tell you while we walk. Come on." I stood up and wiped my tears. "Come on guys," Mika said, "We have to get at least five miles, so we can find some sources of food. I'm pretty sure Jess, Jax, and I are the only ones with money."

  She pulled out three wallets and Jess said, "YOU STOLE OUR WALLETS?!" Mika nodded and started walking.

  Once everyone was ahead of us I began to explain, "Well, Mika. I used to live in Ireland. Dublin, Ireland, to be exact. My parents couldn't take care of me, so they sent me to an orphanage when I was very young. They sent me with a note and a locket. This locket," I pulled the locket from under my jacket and showed her, "Was around my neck. The lady who owns the orphanage, Mrs. O'Reily, looked inside. It has a picture of my parents in it. I've never looked inside, though. In second grade I moved to The US and I've been here ever since."

  "Wow," Mika said, "That's

  "Wow," Mika said, "That's... wow." She hugged me and I hugged her back.

  Suddenly, we heard, "ASH! ARE YOU OKAY?"