Chapter 18: Apartment

November 29, 2016

Jordan's Point Of View

  "I wish you guys could stay here with Declan and me," Brycelynn said as we were riding the escalator. She'd given us everything we needed during these past few days. We stayed for a week to have Thanksgiving dinner. You see, the first night we stayed it was November Twenty-Third and we stayed there a few days, just to make sure Declan really wanted to stay here. Brycelynn had given us some clothes so that we wouldn't catch hypothermia and die a very painful, slow death. She described it in detail many times. 

  "We can't, though. We want to see all of North America... except maybe Mexico. I'm not a very big fan of Mexico." I joked. "Declan we'll keep in touch with you. I love you, bro."

  "I love you too, J." He hugged me and we were on our way. I looked back once more and saw him wipe away a tear. I gave Jess' hand a squeeze and she kissed my cheek.

**One Week Later**

  "Okay... so now we're in New York, New York. Again. This place has a lot of bad memories. Anyway... we should figure out where we're going next I guess." I said. "Um... how about-" I was cut off by Jax's phone ringing. He picked up the phone.

  "Hello?" He asked.

  (Muffles)

  "Yes. Who is this?"

  (Muffled Speaking)

  "Oh hey, Brycelynn! What's up-"

  (Muffly Muffle)

  "Uh... sure." He gave me the phone.

  "Hey."

  "Jordan?" A voice said.

  "Yes. What d'ya need, Bry?"

  "It's Declan. You need to sit down to hear this." I sat on the curb.

  "Okay... what happened?"

  "There was this man at the tower. He came in saying how he wanted to volunteer and shit. Declan was helping a couple kids with their homework. The man walked in and... shot. He shot a gun. Declan got in front of the kids and tackled the man. He died a hero. I-I'm sorry, Jordan. It's all my fault! I should've been there!" I could hear her sobbing. I had no idea on how to react. 

  "Did they catch the man?"

  "Yes."

  "Death penalty?"

  "Y-yes."

  "Okay. Thank you for telling me. I love you, Bry. This... isn't your fault."

  "I love you too, Jordan. Bye..."

  "Bye." I hung up the phone. 

Jax's Point Of View

  "What happened, Jordan?" I asked.

  "Declan... h-he's... he's dead. He got shot."

  "Oh my God."

  He broke into tears. No one could blame him. We all know what it's like to lose family. But Declan was one of us. It's like losing Mika all over again. Except Declan won't resurrect. Declan was one of my best friends. I've known him my whole life. 

  "This man came and shot a bunch of people in the tower. And when he came into the room Declan was in he shot the gun again. Declan got in front of the kids and tackled the man. And he died a hero..." He stood and Jess hugged him. "He was so young! He wasn't supposed to die!" He left Jess' embrace and looked to the sky. He shook his head. "If there's a God... why couldn't it save Declan." He walked away. And we followed him.