Chapter 27 - Best Friends

People asked you if they could take pictures of themselves standing next to your Ferrari, in hindsight driving to Orlando's school in an expensive vehicle wasn't the wisest decision you've made before. You saw Orlando come running out of the school gate and straight into your arms, there was nothing in world that you would trade for that feeling; he squirmed out of your grip and pulled you over towards a familiar looking man talking to a dark haired girl.

Orlando: running over with you
Noelia! Noelia!

The man and little girl looked over at you two, she smiled up at Orlando and tugged her father over towards you both; the four of you all meeting in the middle. You recognised the man's face, it felt like a bomb had just gone off and you were seeing the ghost of your past laughing at the devastation.

You: widen eyes
Giovanni?

The three stared at you in confusion.

Orlando: tugging on your arm
Sai lo mamma? (You know him mum)

You: looked down at Orlando with a weak stance
Si può sia andare a giocare nel parco giochi , voglio parlare con lui per un secondo. (Can you both go and play in the playground, I want to talk to him for a second)

Orlando: grabbing Noelia's hand and running off together
Andiamo Noelia! (Come on Noelia)

You admired how cute they were, but then returned back to the task at hand. Giovanni seemed confused, he didn't seem to remember who you were, but only knew you as Orlando's mother; the boy he gave the necklace to the day of the earthquake.

You: looking into his eyes
Sta di perdersi nei miei occhi di nuovo ? (Are you getting lost in my eyes again)

Giovanni: gasping
Ragazza americana! (American girl)

You: smirking
It's been awhile, seems like it's been too long to be exact. Children change people, don't they?

Giovanni: calming down
Si, they a~do a. I should a~guessed a~that Orlando was a~yours a~there is a~no child a~as a~brave as a~him a!

You: smiling
I'm ____, we have known of each other's existence for roughly seven, eight years and you have never known my name.

Giovanni: smiling
Nice to a~meet you a~_____.
So a~where is your a~husband a~the one you a~always threatened us a~with a?

You: chuckling
Yeah, he isn't here, again. Where is your wife?

Giovanni: weakening his smile
She a~walked out on us a~when a~Noelia was a~one a~so I'm a~signal father a.

You: shocked
Oh, I'm sorry.

Giovanni: sighing
That a~was a~five years ago a~it's nothing a~but a~history a. She found out a~what I a~did with a~Stefano before I a~met her a. I wish a~I wasn't a~stupido...

You: dropping a hint
Do you regret what that necklace around Orlando's neck means?

He looked at you in utter shock and began to slightly sweat.

You: looking him in the eyes
I know what the necklace means and I j--

Giovanni: cutting you off
I'm a~sorry a~I a~gave him it a~but I a~wanted to a~keep him a~safe a!

You: reassuring him
No, I was only going to thank you; but my husband hates the fact that he is constantly wearing it. Does that mean once he gets older he is officially a member of (looking around) the M.A.F.I.A.?

Giovanni: swaying his head
It takes a~ more to join a~it's not a~that easy a~the idea of the a~necklaces a~is for a~form of identification a~to keep individuals a~safe a.

You took a breath of thanks, that was a question you have been wanting to ask for years. Now that you were done questioning the Italian man you asked if Noelia could come over for a play date at your place this afternoon.

...

You looked into rear view mirror at Orlando and Noelia, they were sitting shoulder to shoulder and sharing laughter; she was very pretty young girl, slightly tanned skin, chocolate eyes, peached coloured lips and long straight dark chocolate coloured hair. They both had the same bright glowing personality, talkative, loud, giggly, curiosity and an obsession with sharing every thought they have; is it really that wrong is you shipped them both together, there was nothing written in a parenting book about that. As you drove through the gate you noticed that Romano, Feliciano and Antonio where gardening in the tomato field; they all turned around and started to wave while holding tomatoes in their hands, Romano began to chance after the vehicle. You parked the car and saw Romano open up Orlando's door, he peered in with such enthusiasm then went quiet.

Romano: mumbling under his breath
Una ragazza? (A girl)

You got out of the Ferrari and saw Antonio crossing his arms and smirking behind Romano.

Antonio: talking in Spanish
Un pequeño hombre de las señoras de oliva italiano ! (A little Italian olive ladies man)

Only you and Romano understood Antonio and neither of you were happy with what Antonio just suggested about Orlando.

You: closing the car door
¡Orlando no es un jugador! (Orlando isn't a player)

Antonio: apologising
¡Eso no es lo que quise decir! (That's not what I meant)

Noelia: looking at Orlando
Su mamá puede hablar tres idiomas? (Your mum can speak three languages)

Orlando: happily nodding
Lo mismo ocurre con mi padre ! (So can my dad) Vuoi incontrare Gatoúla e olive ? (Do you want to meet Kitty and Olive)

Noelia: grabbing Orlando's hand and running out of the car
Si!

You watched the pair run off with bright smiles on their faces, then you looked over at Romano who was inspecting a tomato and taking a descent sized bite from it.

You: smirking
There's nothing wrong with Orlando's first friend being a girl, besides they seem like a perfect little match; she'd make a sweet little daughter in law.

The three men looked at like you were completely off your head, it was way too early in Orlando's life to think about him getting married.

You: walking away
Did I mention she is Giovanni's daughter, she has the same Mafia necklace around her neck.

Bits of tomato fell out of Romano's mouth and dropped his half eaten tomato while a buzzing gasp like noise came from his gapping mouth, causing Antonio and Feliciano to cover their ears with their hands.

==================================================================================

Aww, Orlando and Noelia are like the children of the Mafia, how cute... Wait maybe more scary than cute.

Thank you for reading!

~BlueTimeFly