Chapter XII (Almost Is Never Enough)

California, October 10th 2014

School bell rings, every student run out of the classrooms.

I'm always the last one to leave the classroom.

Either because the teachers are worried about me or because they want to discuss topics with me.

But today I don't want to do that. I just want to go home.

It was a stressful day, and even though I have a lot to study I don't want to do it.

So I get out of the school gate and sit right where buses and parents cars pick the students.

My mother is not the type to arrive too late after the time I get out of school.

Sitting right next to me is Roderick. I always fancied him.

He's tall, I heard he is really smart and love books.

Well he has one with him right now.

I don't pay too much attention to the cover, because he is really breathtaking.

I try to talk to him but something always hold me back.

When I'm really up to talk to him, his mother arrive and so does mine.

He looks at me but his mouth doesn't pronounce any words. I just look at his beautiful lips.

I get in my mom's car and she starts to ask me about how school was and stuff like that.

I always answer that things are going alright and I have a lot to study and I will do so.

She starts the engine of the car and I see the car of Roderick's mother going in the opposite direction of my mother's car.

I never got to know where he lives.

The entire way home I just think about him and about an essay I was assigned to write.

About what I wanted to write. As long as it's not dirty and don't contain cuss words.

But my thoughts are all focused on Roderick.

As we arrive at home, I grab my bag and go to my room.

My mother shrugs because we never spend time together but I have to "study" so.

I go to my bedroom and close the door.

I turn on my laptop and go to my facebook page and start a conversation with Roderick.

I'm always the one to start it. It feels like it's just me that wants something to happen.

He doesn's seem interested me in me at all.

He answers me and we type to each other for two hours with mostly me typing and wanting for him to answer.

My mother screams that dinner is ready and I say goodbye to Roderick.

But ask him if he will be staying online for much longer. He says yes.

I go to our living room, that is supposed to be just a living room but I like to eat there.

Mom – Jordan. How many times have I tell you that you should eat in the kitchen?!

Jordan – Plenty mom. But I like to watch tv while I'm eating.

Mom – That's unhealthy. And we never have time together, and this should be it.

Jordan – Please mom, my day wasn't the best so don't come with your whining.