Just Another Brick on the Pile

The operation went on hours, Carrin was able to numb out the sensation of pain, now all she had to do was make sure her eyes stayed open. She felt pricks and occasional pulls against her skin, but she did not move at all to look down to see what they were doing to her. At one point she could have sworn she saw what looked like a wooden prosthetic arm. She wanted to tell them not to bother with such a thing, but she still did not trust her mouth, even if she did seem to pass the worst of everything.

After an entire day's worth of time, she was moved onto an actual bed. She was wrapped up in a lot of cloth wrap, and once the fourth squad got there, they were kind enough to dress her in a soft robe, then was reeled off to the fourth squad hastily. She was placed in a room more private compared to the clinic's room that had multiple beds in one space. She was settled in another bed and was offered pain medication but in fear they would put her to sleep, she refused.

Once settled, she was soon visited by the fourth squad Captain. Carrin struggled to look over at her, trying to keep herself calm, she seemed to be fine as long as she kept herself in a complete relaxed state, she imagined if she stiffened or twitched,a pain would soar.

"Carrin, how do you feel?"

Carrin slowly unlocked her jaw, still making sure she did not move any more than to talk. Her jaw popped as she spoke in a whisper like voice, not pushing for any louder,"I feel like I have been blown up."

"For you to joke in this state shows promising signs," she complimented.

"Ayasegawa," she then began, her voice growing hoarse half way through his name making it crack.

"Hmm? Ayasegawa, your squad member, there when the device went off. Are you asking if he had gotten hurt?"

Carrin remained silent for her answer, not daring to nod, the Captain thankfully understood," he only received minor wounds, he has already been patched up while you were in operation."

Carrin closed her eyes, breathing a tiny sigh of relief," thank goodness."

The captain was silent for a moment before speaking again," Carrin, the worst is behind you, why do you still insist on no medication? I heard from that man that you stubbornly remained awake during the entire operation, not moving an inch or making a single noise. Said you insisted on no sedative to ease the pain. Are you scared to close your eyes?"

Carrin swallowed the lump in her dry throat, wetting her mouth slowly before speaking again,"when I was unconscious, I had a talk with Pak," she swallowed another lump wincing at the twitch she thought her left hand had done, but it was nothing but a feeling, nothing but a memory of what it felt like, "he had given up for a moment there. I don't want to see him like that again."

The captain stiffened an ounce,"You were able to connect with Pak without touching him?"

Carrin stayed calm," I guess, I'm not sure if my timing was lined up right, I may have spoken to him when I first got blasted out of the sky and just happened to wake when I was already there, I don't know, but either way, I think it was him that was able to wake me in the first place."

The captain watched her closely, catching each and every twitch and wince in Carrin's face as she seemed to uncontrollably be moving more than she wanted, igniting pains in various places," I'm sorry Carrin, you need to rest, we can talk more after your recovery, please rest, don't be scared to close your eyes."

Carrin watched as she moved out of view, back the way she came, Carrin clutched her fist as she forced herself to look over at her," Captain," she called, biting back a groan.