Gotta Be Above It

I knocked on the door, checking my watch as I adjusted my leather jacket.

It was 8:30 on the dot, and it scared me how good I could time myself with reaching places.

"Who's there?" I heard Albert's voice ring out. My eyebrows furrowed. Didn't Julian say he wasn't gonna be there?

"It's Satan!"

The locks were turned and the door flew open, Albert pouting a bit.

"Come in," he sighed and I couldn't believe what I saw.

There were boxes everywhere, marked with different things for the rooms. I froze. The couch was gone, the living room looked completely empty.

"Where's Julian?"

"I don't know."

"Albert, you know. He tells you everything, don't bullshit me."

"I really don't know, he was suppose to be helping me pack so I could leave for my date but sadly when we left Wiz Kid he said he had to go somewhere and hasn't returned my calls or anything."

I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

I would pick his ass for not telling me, but I decided to let this one slide.

"I'll help you pack, if you want me to."

"I can sure use the help!" he smiled.

I walked in and picked up what was my shirt from some nights before.

"That's your shirt? That makes sense! I knew Julian couldn't fit in that," he smirked.

I balled up the shirt and sticked it in my pocket. I picked up a DVD as well, that was marked "For A.L., the documentary."

"What's this?" I asked Albert, holding the DVD towards him.

"Huh? Oh, that was the documentary named In Transit that I told Julian to give you from how long ago. I swear he forgets everything..." Albert started mumbling to himself.

I started laughing. I loved it when he did that, mumble his words.

"What?"

"Nothing, I'll watch this when I get home. Let's keeping packing."

In about 4 hours, the house was basically empty, and even though it was 12:30, Julian was still not home.

He had stood me up, and my chest felt heavy. I could deal with heartbreak, but this with Julian had brought tears to my eyes.

"I'm going to the store, want anything?" Albert asked, grabbing his keys from his kitchen counter.

"No, I'm alright. You have any cigarettes on you?"

He checked his back pocket and threw me a whole pack. He nodded as he shut the door.

I slid down the wall and fell flat to the ground, fixing my legs so I could rest my head on my knees. My stomach felt upset, and tears started to stain my cheeks. I was angry, taking out my phone and dialing Julian's number.

But all it did was ring.

And ring.

I started to become furious, getting up, pushing Albert's cigarette pack in my pocket, and walking into Jules' bedroom.

It looks like Albert didn't touch Julian's room, and neither did Jules. I looked on his dressing table. The only thing on top there was a picture frame with an old Polaroid picture. I picked it up and looked at it closer.

It was with Julian and I, when I was only 17.

I threw the picture frame onto the floor, the glass shattering into pieces. I reached for the picture and took it, pushing it into my pocket.

I walked out and went into one the boxes, taking out a sheet of music paper and a pen from my hair. I started to write:

Albert,

Sorry I had to leave, but your welcome in the help with packing.

Don't tell Julian I was here, that I didn't wait for him, and that I don't care to hear his fucking excuse.

Love ya bro.

I left the note by the door, sighing and turning the knob to leave.

"A.L.?"

I looked up and saw that Julian was standing there, with sorry and fear on his eyes.

"Get out of my way, Julian," I said quietly, pushing through him.

"Wait, let me-"

I threw my hands up in the air in rage.

"I've heard enough excuses not to listen to yours, Julian!"

"Annabel-Lee, I'm sorry! I-"

I turned around, my cheeks pale as I saw his eyes glistening.

"You're welcome for helping you pack with Albert."

I started down the stairs, hearing Julian screaming after me.

I drowned him out, repeating the poem Annabel-Lee to help myself not cry.