Chapter Nine: "Life Is About Taking Risks, Aiden"

I woke up with a start. I was freezing again.
Did I scream?, I thought. I looked next to me and Aiden wasn't there.
I didn't scream. Hallelujah, I praised. I looked at the nightstand to check what time it was and found a plate filled with a veggie omelet, two pecies of bacon, and tea. There was a little note, and I picked it up and read it.
You were asleep and I didn't want to wake you, I knew you hadn't had that good of sleep so I made you breakfast in bed and let you sleep.
-Aiden.
I put the note down and looked at the breakfast.
Eh, I'm not that hungary.
My stomach growled.
Or I am.
I picked up the plate and started eating. I looked around the room and ate my breakfast and sipped my tea.
Finally, when I was done, I got dressed in my casual basic, green v-neck, t-shirt, jeans, and converse.
I put my hair in a ponytail, made the bed, and went downstairs carrying my dishes. I put the dishes up and started to go back upstairs when I heard "Good morning."
I stopped and turned around to see Aiden.
"Morning, thank you for the breakfast and letting me sleep. When should we be going to Brooklyn?" I asked.
Aiden got up off the couch "about that."
"What?"
"I was thinking," he started " they knew when we would be at the police department. It was basically a trick. Don't you think they know where we would be heading to next? I mean, it was a trap before it could be another trap. I don't think we should risk it."
I looked at him. He had a point.
"Well, we won't know until we figure out now will we? Aiden, life is about taking risks" I said.
"Well, how about this, we stay here for a few more days and if they react in some way, we don't go. And if they don't, we go. Since you do have a point" I added.
"I like it. It's a deal" he said.
"Okay, good" I started going up the stairs again.
"What are you going to do today?" He asked and I stopped.
"I don't know, read or something" I said.
"Well, I was thinking, coffee?" When he asked to go out for coffee I thought he was insane. Coffee? Are you joking? In the middle of a war?
I looked at him blankly.
"Why?" I asked.
"Seems like a good time to do something instead of just sitting around waiting" he shrugged.
"Alright, fine. But as long as we're under cover" I said.
He nodded, "okay." I walked upstairs the rest of the way up the stairs.

       We finally got into the car. Aiden did pretty good for the undercover thing. I made sure to cover up my scar and wear something that didn't show up too flashy or too unnoticeable, just casual.
"You did pretty good" I said looking straight at the windshield.
"Not so bad yourself" he said. We started driving to a nearby café.
Little did we know, that they'd find us.
We walked in a café called Charlotte's Café. I got a pumpkin spice latte and he just got regular old hot chocolate. Typical. We sat at a table and we're silent for a few minutes.
"So, how's your coffee?" Aiden said; breaking the silence between us.
"Great. How's your, um, hot chocolate?" I said.
"Great" He said.
"So are your nightmares going away?" He asked.
"Yeah" I lied. I took another sip of my coffee. Three guys walked in. They looked a little suspicious as they walked to the register. I kept my eye on them. Then, as I suspected, one pulled out a gun and started shooting.
Aiden and I ducked.
Great, I thought, is this what's going to be like for the rest of my life?
"I KNEW WE SHOULDN'T HAVE GONE FOR COFFEE!" I yelled.
"WHAT?! SO YOU'RE GOING TO TELL ME 'I TOLD YOU SO' SMARTIE PANTS?!" He yelled.
Arrogant.
"SHUT UP! WE GOT TO GET OUT OF HERE!" I yelled.
"NAH DIP SHERLOCK!" He yelled,
"I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU HAVE A PLAN?!"
"I'M WORKING ON IT!"
"WORK FASTER!"
"IF YOU'D SHUT UP MAYBE I WILL!"
"YOU STARTED THE CONVERSATION!"
"AND NOW I'M ENDING IT!"
Bullets were flying, I pulled out my gun and my ninja stars.
"YOU BROUGHT WEAPONS?!" He yelled. I shot at the targets.
"I WASN'T GOING TO RISK WALKING IN NAKED!" I yelled.
What was this supposed to be? A date?
Because if it was, it was one crapy date, I shot at the targets again and finally got one down. Aiden was still ducking.
"WHAT A SECOND YOU DIDN'T?!" I asked.
"I DIDN'T THINK THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN!" He yelled.
Oh good God.
I ducked under and slid the gun to Aiden "COVER ME!"
Aiden finally got it when I started running and I threw a ninja star at target number two as I slid across the floor to the next booth. The last target was ducked behind the cash register. All the civilians were running out the door.
"THIS OUR ONLY CHANCE!" I yelled to Aiden.
"ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!" He yelled.
"NOPE!" I got up and ran out the door he ran after me. He finally caught up with me. Once we finally got to the car, I opened the door and took a breath.
"We are never, ever --" I heard a big POW and pain spread through my torso. My hand went immediately to my stomach. I fell to the ground. My ears were ringing, and I could hear my heart beat. I believe Aiden ducked, I didn't know. I rolled onto my stomach and got up. I pulled out my gun and shot at the last person on the roof. How he got up there? I had no idea. My shot was successful and I dropped the gun. It really does hurt.
Aiden ran over to me "Oh my God, Alice."
He put his hand on the bullet wound and pressed.
Holy mother of God, this is FREAKING painful.
"Shit, we need to get you to the house" he picked me up and put me in the back seat of his Ferrari. I laid there in the back. I kept the pressure on my wound. It was only a few minutes whenever my vision was starting to get blurry. The voice of Brianna was in the back of my head laughing maniacally. I gritted my teeth. I hated that woman more than I hated myself.
Aiden was driving like a maniac. He kept looking in the rear view mirror, and muttering to himself. I had no idea that me getting hurt would drive him mad. Sometimes I worried about him. Although I only known him for about a three weeks. My vision was getting even more blurry and the ringing in my ears were getting louder. I could see Brianna laughing maniacally in the back of my mind. I couldn't hear her anymore. I could just imagine her. Throwing her head back laughing. My eyelids felt heavy.
The car suddenly stopped and my body lurched a bit forward. I almost fell on the floor. He opened his door, opened my door, picked me up, and raced me inside. I could barley make out what he was saying but it sounded like "Don't close your eyes, Alice, whatever you do don't close your eyes. Stay with me, Alice."
I fought back the heaviness and the thoughts in the back of my mind of eternal sleep. I felt my body hit a mattress. My body was going numb.
"Don't close your eyes, Alice" he seemed to say again. After that was a blackout.