The Scars Within {6}

A.N.- The picture is the one in Melissa's room ft. Cameron Leahy and Cassadee Pope (if you read my other stories, you know Cassadee Pope usually represents the main girl in the story. I think she's really pretty, but really cocky xD) 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                “What are you doing in my house?” I growled dangerously. He smirked wider as Melissa came next to him and glared at me. “I met him yesterday, and I invited him over. This is my house too EJ,” she said angrily.

                “It’s MY house Melissa,” I snapped in annoyance. “Actually, it’s my house. I was living here long before either of you,” my mom said, coming out of the kitchen and raising an eyebrow at both of us. “And, I pay the bills. As soon as you two pay the bills, you can claim the house.” I ignored her and glared at Lionel.

                “Thanks for letting me come over, Mrs. Cope. I didn’t know EJ lived here,” Lionel said. His voice was polite, but his eyes were smug as fuck. “Duh I live here you idiot. She’s my mom!” I snapped.

                “EJ, don’t be rude. He’s new to the town. How was he supposed to know you lived here?” mom said with a frown. I crossed my arms in annoyance and Lionel smirked again. Mom rolled her eyes at me and shook her head. “Dinner’s ready. All of you, go sit,” she said and I led Brewer over to the table.

                We sat down next to each other and Melissa and Lionel sat across from us. Great. Lionel was directly across from me. Mom set the food down as we heard the front door open and shut.

                Melissa’s dad came upstairs and smiled. “Hey Mel. Hey EJ. Hi Brewer. Who’s this?” he asked, glancing at Lionel. “Hello. I’m Lionel,” he said in that same polite voice. But his eyes lit up when he said his own name. He shook Melissa’s dad’s hand. “Well, nice to meet you Lionel. I’m Mr. Cope. I’m Melissa’s dad.”

                He went over to my mom and kissed her before helping her set the rest of the table. They sat down with us. “So Lionel, where are you from?” mom asked him as we began to pass the food around. “I’m from Florida,” he said.

                I was still glaring at him. “EJ, stop. You’re being rude,” mom mumbled in my ear when Lionel turned to talk to Melissa. “I don’t like him,” I said, not bothering to keep my voice down.

                He turned to me curiously. “EJ!” mom said sternly. “It’s okay Mrs. Cope. He doesn’t have to like me. It doesn’t bother me,” he said with a grin. I glared harder and he laughed. “Hey, calm down. I didn’t do anything to you.” Mom nudged me and I grumbled out a protest before turning to talk to Brewer.

                                                                                ***Lionel’s POV***

                Melissa and I finished eating and she led me to her room. “Damn, he’s your brother?” I asked curiously and she shook her head furiously. “Step-brother,” she said with a sigh. “He’s an ass. But…if you knew him, you would understand why. He had it rough before my dad and his mom got married.”

                “Rough? Like, money-wise?” Melissa shook her head again. “Not money wise. His mom married my dad a little over a year after she divorced EJ’s dad, so they were doing fine with money. His mom has a nice job. Just…a rough life.”

                “Was his dad abusive?” I asked, suddenly curious. That was a bad habit of mine. I got really curious about people’s personal lives. I liked to know what about their pasts made them the way they were. It just interested me.

                Another head shake. “No, he wasn’t abusive or anything. I only met EJ’s dad a few times, but my dad told me about him. I guess he was a nice enough guy. But…he made a…mistake. It destroyed the marriage.”

                “And EJ,” I said and she nodded nervously and glanced at her bedroom door. “His dad is the reason his face is so fucked up, isn’t he?” I asked. “I…I’m not supposed to talk about EJ’s face. My dad told me it was between him and his mom. I don’t really know what happened,” she said quietly.

                “What do you know about what happened? Anything,” I pressed. Damn me and my curiosity. I needed to get the fuck out of other people’s lives. I didn’t really care, I just liked to know.

                “There was a bad accident. That’s all I know. I really don’t know the details, Lionel,” she said nervously. “What about his eye? Does he really only have one eye?” I asked and she laughed a little. “No! He has two eyes. He just wears the bandana.”

                “Why?” I asked, truly curious now. Did he think it looked cool or some stupid shit? He looked stupid wearing the bandana over his eye like that. I used to do that when I would play pirate when I was, like, four years old.

                Melissa shrugged. “I don’t know. Something about one of his eyes being weaker than the other or something. I don’t really know, Lionel. EJ’s…different. As you can tell, he’s stuck up as fuck. I just want to smack him sometimes.”

                I laughed. “Well then, you won’t like me very much,” I said with a smirk. But hey, at least I knew what I was. Besides, if someone didn’t like me, they didn’t like me. I wasn’t here to please anyone except myself.

                I glanced around Melissa’s room. “You know, usually, when you hate someone, you don’t put their picture above your bed,” I said, raising an eyebrow. She rolled her eyes.

                “I don’t hate EJ. I hate his attitude. He can be nice. I know he can. My dad and his mom have been friends for years, so I knew him a little bit when we were growing up, and he was really nice and shy. He changed a few years ago,” she said, looking up at the picture of the two of them together. It looked very recent. EJ’s hair was covering his face in a way that I couldn’t tell if he was wearing his bandana.

                I heard a slight squeaking, but since I was so focused, something slammed into my back and sent me crumpling forward before I knew what the hell was happening.